Cetane boost and tranny fluid

JRJ04

Reaction score
I talked to a guy at o'rileys today that had a 01 250 who seemed to be pretty knowledgeable. ive talked to him a few other times well about stuff for the rig.

Today, he said that every tank, he would add 1 qt of auto tranny fluid and a cetane booster and he would get an additional 50-75 miles each tank. is it ok to put tranny fluid in it?

trackspeeder

Stone Crusher
Reaction score
Pass on the tranny fluid. Tranny fluid has detergents in it. Stuff you dont want to burn. :eek:

Cetane booster is good. Or you can use 2cycle oil. 1oz to 1 gal.:D

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
i have heard of many people who do this, but i have never seen first hand the results, or any bad "aftermath".

personally i never bought it because atf isnt much of a "surface" lubricant, especially when cut to that extreme with diesel.

JRJ04

Reaction score
this guy claimed that all the 2 cycle motor oil does is adds lubricating properties, while the atf actually aids in making it burn more efficiently. I knew that about the 2 cyc motor oil, but is this true for the atf?

trackspeeder

Stone Crusher
Reaction score
this guy claimed that all the 2 cycle motor oil does is adds lubricating properties, while the atf actually aids in making it burn more efficiently. I knew that about the 2 cyc motor oil, but is this true for the atf?

The only thing we found with tranny fluid is the engine ran hotter.:dunno
But that was with Type F about 15 years ago:D. With the new stuff I would not use it at all.

AARON29

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Curios to hear that as well. I add cetane boost to my truck every fill up, but hey if I can add 2 cycle oill instead, that's a hell of alot cheaper being that diesel just went up to $3.61

JRJ04

Reaction score
Curios to hear that as well. I add cetane boost to my truck every fill up, but hey if I can add 2 cycle oill instead, that's a hell of alot cheaper being that diesel just went up to $3.61

its a combination of the 2. the cetane booster will make the burn more efficient. all the 2 cycle oil does is increase the lubricating properties of the fuel, which in theory should help with mileage. but, all in all, its a combination of the 2.

and now back to my question...

why would someone suggest atf of the 2 cycle oil? the guy did say that the atf will make it burn hotter. is this why?

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg