Changing Coolantq

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
after doing countless engine swaps, and seeing how much coolant is left after you "drain the block"........i dont even bother anymore.

the best method is to run the engine high idle while pumping hot fresh water in and draining the rad. at the same time. shut it down, drain the radiator, then fill with 50/50 and run the engine. check freeze protection, adjust if needed (add straight coolant or water) and top off the level.

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
i digress:

with that said: dave - what was the procedure? $30 and some water seems lots cheaper than a full 'flush' charge and a little more worth it to me.....being as mine prolly needs it since it has probably not been touched since the overhaul...it couldn't hurt anyway, cuz i have never touched the filter and i doubt they did.

IS this the procedure?

the best method is to run the engine high idle while pumping hot fresh water in and draining the rad. at the same time. shut it down, drain the radiator, then fill with 50/50 and run the engine. check freeze protection, adjust if needed (add straight coolant or water) and top off the level.

-popcorn-popcorn

kingkevindavid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
remember you don't need to add Supplemental Coolant Additives (SCA's) to the 6.0's (as long as you are still running the "gold" motorcraft coolant.
I agree that the whole flush thing is overrated. The procedure that Zookie outlined is basically the same thing for a lot cheaper. Just keep pumping the water in until it is coming out clear.
Heres a story for you related to the radiator. I had a 79 Thunderbird about 10 years ago that would slowly overheat on long rides, the overheating would also cause the transmission fluid to boil and spew out. I could not figure out why. Long story short after tons of beer and swearing, I happened to feel the radiator and it had a large cold spot. I flushed the radiator about the same way as Zookie outlined and it forced the blockage out. No problems after that!

Beachbumcook

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How to get a 100% coolant flush from the 6.0L motor.

1) Buy 4 gallons of Premium Gold coolant.

2) Buy 15 gallons of distileld water at grocery store

3) Drop lower radiator hose and let drain.

4) Reconnect hose and refill degas bottle with distilled water (start motor and fill to MIN level).

5) Drive truck until temp guage comes up to temp or at least 5 minutes in between flsuehs.

6) Repeat steps #3 through #5 about 4 times (depends on how much distileld water you have).

7) You now have a cooling system with 100% distileld water in it - Drop lower radiator hose 1 last time and drain - reconnect hose securely.

8) Look in owners manual and divide the total cooling system capacity by 2 for a 50/50 dilution of coolant and water.

9) Add straight premium gold coolant to degas bottle up to what is 50% capacity of your system.

10) Start truck and let idle and to remove any air bubbles.

11) Add distilled water to bring coolant to the MIN mark on your degas bottle (you already added the right amount of coolant above for a 50/50 mixture).

12) Drive truck and check coolant over the next day or so to ensure no air bubbles. Only use distilled water to bring to MIN mark.

Follow these steps and you will have flushed your motor with 100% distilled water and will have repalced the perfect 50/50 mixture of new coolant. You will have done a better job than the dealer as none of them use distilled water.

As well, when your on the final flush (before adding new coolant, this is a great time to install a dieselsite.com coolant filter - I did).

Hope this helps....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14