Changing Injectors -

Reaction score
I need to change out the injectors on a 94 this friday - it's got 236K on it - original injectors.
Have ordered all 8 with the install kit. Looking for any tips or info that I might need to know before I get started.

Thanks,

Ron

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
It is pretty much like changing sparkplugs. New copper gasket and torque them down carefully. Make sure all of the fuel fittings are solid and do not leak air or fuel. Good luck Ron.

Dave

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
piece of pie on the idi 7.3
teh fuel lines are the biggest pain. take em off and put em on in order and use a line wrench to save the nuts. then once all is hooked up leave teh fuel lines loose at the injectors and have someone turn over the truck til you purge teh air and see fuel flow from the fittings, then tighten up and start her up check for leaks.
while the fuel system is torn down change out all the return rubber lines up top and little dead end caps.

took me about 4 hours , but i am slow and had to have lunch:D that was one easy engine to work on

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys - looks like with all the suggestions here and from Agem - it should go pretty smooth.

Thanks again,

Ron

Ford Doctor

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
In regard to the return fuel lines, you might want to invest in replacing all of the rubber hoses and the spring clamps. Even when these trucks were new I always had a problem with them hardening and leaking. I also found that the spring clamps tend to lose their strength as well. Be really careful removing the plastic fuel return collars on the injectors as well because they can easily break during removal. At least under the handling of my clunky fingers they did! :doh:

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
At least under the handling of my clunky fingers they did! :doh:[/QUOTE]
ME to, brittle little buggers :oops:
Ford Doctor said:
In regard to the return fuel lines, you might want to invest in replacing all of the rubber hoses and the spring clamps. Even when these trucks were new I always had a problem with them hardening and leaking. I also found that the spring clamps tend to lose their strength as well. Be really careful removing the plastic fuel return collars on the injectors as well because they can easily break during removal. At least under the handling of my clunky fingers they did! :doh:

Reaction score
Ford Doctor said:

Yeppers - I ordered the "install kit" which has all new caps - rubber lines and the spring clamps.

Tried to talk him into installing a new pump also since it's the original - but not at this time.
Anyway - suppose to all be here Thursday - I'm actually looking forward to this - my first injector change :D

Ron

smokyred

SDD Wannabe Mod #2
Reaction score
It may help if you shoot some PB Blaster around the threads of the injectors a while before you try to unscrew them, a guy I know twisted a few injectors off, very nasty problem to drill the old injector pieces out! I would also look for a 6-point wrench or socket to take them out, you'll have alot less chance of rounding the corners off. Tell us how it goes,

Dave:thumbs

Reaction score
Well - got the injectors changed out today - went okay. Started out by breaking one of the studs out of the glow plug relay :(

Removal of the lines and injectors then went fine. Sucked out as much crap as possible from in and around everything. New injectors went in - installed all new caps and fuel return lines. The kit didn't have enough line to replace the one going from the first injector back in - so picked up some extra line when I got the replacement relay.

Took a few minutes to get her started - no leaks - still smokes though big time. By this time it was getting late - add to the fact in rained all day.

Numbers 4 and 8 were completely oil/gunked up. 3 and 7 were also - just not so bad. The rest were clean. Will take another look at her in the morning and then decide where to go next with reducing the smoke.

Ron

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
glad to hear all went ok
as far as smoking, did you drive her at all or just let her idle awhile?
idling will not clear out the raw fuel that may or may not have got dumped in.
it will take a few good throttle runs to clear all the air to from the lines.

hold her at 1200-2000 rpm for a minute to force it out. after she warms up
then let her idle normally.
are the new injectors rebuilt or new?
what were they wrapped in? oily paper or oily cotton or oily plastic

with over 200k on the engine there may be more to the smokin than injectors?
anyway glad it went well
Robert

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58