Changing my own oil

05oneton

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I am wondering how "worth it" it is to change my own oil and what kind of oil and filter to use. I know that Ford recommends 10W-30 for my climate and use, but a friend said something about using a different weight on his farm trucks. I use it mostly as a daily driver and such. So should I just go for 10W-30 and do it myself? Also, what filter would people recommend...I am looking for a cheap but reliable choice (but I know sometimes the two don't go together).

Any help would be appreciated.

P.S.-How much oil do the 6.0L's take?

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a STOCK 6.0 will take 14 or so quarts when changing the oil and filter....

i buy filters at walmart for about 15 bucks...dealer wanted 35+
for the same filter <last time i checked...years ago>.

i buy a case of oil <6gallons> for about 54 bucks....works out to
be about 45 bucks per oil change...

in 2004 when i 1st bought the truck (oil was 36 bucks per 6 gallon case)
and the dealer wanted 98 bucks to change the oil THEN...i cant imagine
what the dealer charges NOW <gotta be 120+>

i use 15w40 conventional Rotella...change it ever 5000miles and ive
done plenty of oil tests <blackstone labs> that report there are
no wear issues.

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, First off let me say Welcome to SSD.com and then say Cong. on the new to you truck. Bush has all ready told you about the oil and filter. If you are new to Diesels, then make sure you use the oil that's made for a diesel engine. I use the Shell 15w40 conventional Rotella and change it every 5000 miles also. If you do this you should be a very happy Ford PowerStroke owner. Hope you come back often.:thumbs :oval :welcome3 :welcome :welcome2
Doug

CHPMustang

Reaction score
We also do our own oil changes on the truck which usually comes out to around $35 :sweet

dante59

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, welcome the good side. i change oil myself, i think i just don't trust some place's out there and i know it is done right if i do it myself. i am with DaveBen, the Fumoto valve is the best was to go, work's good for me i am pretty sure we are not alone on that . i use 15_40 rotetta , and get a sample for Blackstone at every change ( my choice ) good reports every time.i have 152.000 on my 96- f-250.. again Welcome aboard !!

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
welcome aboard

I to use 15w40 conventional Rotella...and TRY to change it ever 7500 miles

depending on wh i get filters from it runs between 45 and 65 dollars per change

Flopster843

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another vote for the fumoto drain valve. Those things are great. I use Rotella syn 5w-40 in the truck year round. It helps it start easier and run smoother than conventional 15w-40. And I always use the OEM oil filter, the after market ones that I've tried always tool about twice as long to built oil pressure upon startup. Just didn't seem like a good thing to me.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58