Changing my own oil

CHPMustang

Reaction score
ahhhh 7.3L vs 6.0L and im using Rotella 15w40.
might have to look at that Travellers stuff...is it CI - 4 PLUS spec ?
It's CI-4/SL spec,I'm gonna have to dig up the long lost specs on this oil as I haven't discussed it in depth in a few years.:rolleyes:

My last Blackstone gave it flying colors.

fly boy

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Just keep in mind not all filters are the same. I just changed mine and bought my filter from oriellys. A motorcraft filter was EXACTLY the same as a microfilter(orielly store brand). I lined them up side by side on the counter. The wix filter was 5 dollars more and it was over a 1/4 inch shorter then the motorcraft and the microfilter. It had a different material and some kind of plastic on the inside of it. It was just different. Oil is suppose to be CI-4 certified. I bought the chevron type oil this time around. On sale for 6.99 a gallon. I thought it was funny that the more expensive filter short of motorcraft was the wrong one and doesn't even meet specs. I told 'em to take those filters off the shelves!

pete37922

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i use the Amsoil 5w-40 oil and thier oil filter...i change my oil every 10k and oil filter 5k in between...wanna keep the engine juice kleen and the turbo alive and spinnin !!!

Buffs F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have both wix and motorcraft filters in the garage and they are both physicly the same but the wix is an industial filter and made of better componants. I always use rottela 15w-40 with lucas oil addative some people dont like the lucas but I have been runing it for years and it works great.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have both wix and motorcraft filters in the garage and they are both physicly the same but the wix is an industial filter and made of better componants. I always use rottela 15w-40 with lucas oil addative some people dont like the lucas but I have been runing it for years and it works great.

id be interested in seeing some photos of these filters.

in my experiance the wix/napa gold filters WERE the same early on
and then changed in manufacturing material and process changed...even
i have stopped using the wix/napa golds.

the fram filters ive found (at walmart) are exactly the the same as
the motorcrafts (also available @ walmart)...15 & 19 bucks.

the wix filters were about 5 bucks several years ago as i recall.

i discovered the wix & napa golds were different in HEIGHT, their
center was constructed using a plastic TUBE (rather than
exposed filter material) and they were built APSENT of the felt
gasket/ring on the base

initially i ignored these filter construction differences...until i
noticed it takeing considerably LONGER for the oil pressure
to register on the gauge !

fly boy

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Bush pilot is the man. That is the truth. The wix was 20 bucks vs the 10 dollar micro gaurd and the 35 dollar motorcraft. Now I am not calling anyone out or calling anyone a liar but 4 days ago when I bought my oil change materials the wix was no doubt shorter and it did have some sort of plastic tube running down the middle like the pilot spoke of.

albran

Very Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all of your help...I think I am pretty well decided on changing my own oil. I have done it before on my small cars but neither of the two I owned were more than 2.0L engines, so I got a little nervous with the big diesel.

So 14 quarts is what I am looking at getting rid of....any ideas on places that take that for free?

You might want to get 15, some people say they put 15 in.
You'll need a 36MM socket to get the old filter out, get it at your favorite autosupply, the one that will take your old oil.

Check back here when you're ready to change your fuel filters and drain your HCFM. :thumbs

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bush pilot is the man. That is the truth. The wix was 20 bucks vs the 10 dollar micro gaurd and the 35 dollar motorcraft. Now I am not calling anyone out or calling anyone a liar but 4 days ago when I bought my oil change materials the wix was no doubt shorter and it did have some sort of plastic tube running down the middle like the pilot spoke of.

35 bucks for a motorcraft nutz...you can get that SAME motorcraft
filter for 18 bucks at walmart...or buy the fram, which is EXACTLY THE
SAME (except for the box) for 15 bucks...again @ walmart.

You might want to get 15, some people say they put 15 in.
You'll need a 36MM socket to get the old filter out, get it at your favorite autosupply, the one that will take your old oil.

Check back here when you're ready to change your fuel filters and drain your HCFM. :thumbs

15quarts is the DRY (assembly) amount. after a filter change & drain
you shouldnt really need more than 14qts (14.5 TOPS)...the HPOP
holds about a quart of oil and it isnt drained when you change the oil.

if you put much more than 14 quarts in after the changed you MAY
(as many here have) experience engine surging @ steady throttle....
the surging is from the crank slinging thru the extra oil in the pan....
when the crank slings thru the oil it ROBS the engine of horsepower.

and if that isnt enough....you should understand that as the
crankshaft rotates it will churn the oil, causing aeration and
eventually foam may form. This can lead to overheated motor oil,
oxidation and a loss of oil pressure. Aerated oil takes more EFFORT
to pump. It starves the engine of oil/lubrication.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Svttim