Question Changing the Fuel Filters on 6.0

Traveler1

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
New to this site and enjoy reading and trying to learn more about my 6.0 - my questions is do I need to relieve fuel pressure before removing fuel filters or do I have to prime one or the other after replacing them.. ..I have heard some people have had problems after changing the filters..Not sure why?? Thanks in advance for your replies.

groundhawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never heard that it does either way. Personally, I change the upper filter first...same time as I'm changing the oil filter. I change the fuel filters every 10k, oil is every 5k. Anyway, after I'm done in the engine bay, then I crawl under for the frame mounted filter.

Main thing I do is cycle the fuel pump with the key 4-5 times before I start it up. Never had a problem yet.

snicklas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I do not think it matters. I have changed one first, and the next time it was the other first. I did not see any issues. I did, the second time, drain the Primary filter using the water drain, that helped make less of a mess.

zr1pete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love the smell of diesel fuel in the morning..... or was that napalm?

pete37922

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i change the secondary filter 1st cuz itz alot easier, then put my bathin suit on 4 the primary filter underneith the truck !!!

jec2thdk

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
fuel filters and MPG

any opinions on whether changing fuel filters every 15K vs. 30K will result in better fuel economy. I disconnected my EGR after it continually sooted up and now wonder if I have a carbon problem in my manifold since my mileage is only 14.9 mpg at 2000 rpm on the interstate. Any opinions??? Thanks!

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
The filter will not have any effect on mileage. The computer can change this (with a programmer) but not the filter. If a diesel runs "lean" if makes less power. There is no "lean" or "rich" in a diesel engine in the way there is in a gas engine. You will have to re-adjust your thinking in this matter.

Dave

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58