Question Changing the Fuel Filters on 6.0

Jetpilot1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fuel Filters and MPG

Why change your filters at 30K?. That's way too long, if you start to get low fuel pressure to the injectors because the filters are clogging up, you'll kill your injectors fast. Clean oil and clean fuel is the best way to get reliability out of the 6.0.

snicklas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I change my oil at 5K and the Fuel Filters at 10K, and use ONLY Motorcraft filters. I had been using Rotella Dino oil, but have recently switched to the Motorcraft PSD oil, and the truck seems to like it. I would NEVER go past 10k on my fuel filters, I can start to feel a performance hit at 9-10k. I can even see an exhaust hase that is not present with new filters..... 30k, I don't know that the truck would actually run with fuel filters that old.....

Suprob

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Also, there is a special socket head that I ordered somewhere that makes the lower fuel filter easier to get on and off. Still a diesel bath though.

Rob

Suprob

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
The socket that I am refering to is shorter than most sockets and allows you to actually turn the cap a lot easier. I will find it and post.

Rob

strokepower

Stroke=Power
Reaction score
how important is the "drain plug"... do i need to do this? im about to change mine... it will be my first time and im wondering what the deal is with the drain plug... can i just crawl under and take the HFCM one off (wear the fuel) then replace it... then go replace the easy one?

snicklas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You can just open the back, where it filter is, which is what I did the first time, and yes, you will get a diesel bath. On the subsuquent changes, I have opend the drain with an allen rachet socket (the one with the allen wrench in a 3/8 drive "socket"). Doing this drains the water and fuel out of the HFCM in a more controlled manner and when you open the main cap, very little fuel comes out. I have not had the diesel bath this way..... just a little dribble from the housing.

However, opening the drain is the ONLY way to remove any residual water from the HFCM, it will not drain out of the back of the unit with the filter, so either way, I would recommend opening the drain.....

ckamp52

ckamp52
Reaction score
they already beat me to it but yeah i got a socket at the local auto store for about 6 bux after fighting it with a wrench the first go round and you can also get an aftermarket hcfm dreain plug that is not the same as a fumoto oil valve but makes things easier

caissiel

Laurent
Reaction score
I have a small 5 micron 1/2" fuel filter on my drop tank, and fuel flows by gravity through it to my truck tank, I carry a spare and so far in the last 2 years, the filter has not prevented the tank from dumping in the truck tank. While I fill the both tanks at the same time, it gives me an indication of the fuel quality that goes in my truck. Fuel filters could last 10 miles or 100,000 miles it all depends on the fuel going in the tank. I had a VW that plugged a filter in 2 weeks, as I had filled the tank with a Diesel/Bio mix. It cost me a $90 filter change. My last Bio in the car.

As for which filter to change first, I always put a new filter on the frame first, and drive the truck a bit and then change the top one, the top filter while dirty will allow the lines to clean. On hydraulics it alway safe to change the prefilter first.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58