Check your Engine Cover Mounts.

ForumBlue

CDXX
Reaction score
The other day, on my dads 2000 dually, I noticed one of the nuts on the engine cover was ratteling around in it's hole. When I picked it out of there, the stud it screws onto was completely rusted thru. So, when I was working on mine I had to take the cover off to get to the fuel filter bowl, and noticed the entire mount was rusted. so I took it off and cleaned it up and rust-proofed it.
A word to the wise. If your cleaning parts with a wire wheel on an electric drill, don't lock the motor in the on position. The wheel grabbed hold of the leather glove I was wearing, ran up to my wrist, and went underneath the glove.OUCH!!! You WILL lose this battle.

Last edited:

Glassdude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OOOuch. I wish I could say "I've never done that!" but I would be lying. I too I'm quilty of a few saftey violations. Hope your wrist has a speedy recovery.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
The engine cover support looks good, the wrist looks bad. Thats how I usually end up looking after a day in the garage. Matter of fact, I took 8 stitches in the wrist earlier this spring in a wrist VS. miter saw incident.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Nice job there Forum on the metal bracket :sweet

I had done a similar re-do to the thermostat housing a year or two ago and has held up quite well,I may also do the HPOP cover bracket next weekend :cowboy:

Been there with the wire wheel a couple times myself :D

Bill

RenoF250

DungBeetle
Reaction score
I had the same problem with rust, bolt snapped off. I painted it up and put in stainless bolts now it is all pretty.

Luckily I have never been ground that bad by a wire wheel, just a little on the fingers but I have had the part tear me up as it was ripped from my hands and thrown across the room.

ForumBlue

CDXX
Reaction score
Bill, since you showed me how to put those cool little url links to my pitures in my posts I'll use any excuse to play aruond. When I run out of stuff I'll even resort to self mutilation as a reason to post.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58