Choices....

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did not want the rv dealer to drill a electrical plug hole in my bed, so what I am going to do is remove the tailgate and run the 5er electrical cable to the back bumper of our truck and plug it into the receptical that is there. Anyone else do this? Also thinking about buying a louvered tailgate, or mesh tailgate that I can run the cable through. At the moment, I don't know if I will need a tailgate at all, because the only thing I plan to put into the bed is a fuel tank/tool box combo, when pulling the 5er.
We went to the RV dealer today because the 5er was supposed to be there.
It did not arrive.

Hey DaveBen; if you see it down your way, tell em to turn around and head north. :D

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
I did not want the rv dealer to drill a electrical plug hole in my bed, so what I am going to do is remove the tailgate and run the 5er electrical cable to the back bumper of our truck and plug it into the receptical that is there. Anyone else do this?

Many 5th wheel RV's have a long enough cable that will reach the outlet at the rear of the truck. If it isn't long enough, installing a longer cable or even making an "extension cord" is easy to do also.

Also thinking about buying a louvered tailgate, or mesh tailgate that I can run the cable through. At the moment, I don't know if I will need a tailgate at all, because the only thing I plan to put into the bed is a fuel tank/tool box combo, when pulling the 5er.

You may want to have one in case you want to throw firewood or groceries in the back. I sell them at work, this one seems to be a fairly decent Louvered Tailgate. They're available at just about any RV dealer. Its hi-impact plastic and aluminum so it doesn't rust. Quick word about firewood as long as I'm on the subject. Many states prohibit transporting firewood across state lines due to insect infestation control efforts. The U.P. of Michigan does not allow even firewood from lower Michigan. I believe Wisconsin has a similar policy.

We went to the RV dealer today because the 5er was supposed to be there. It did not arrive.

Don't be suprised. Delivery of RV's is typically done by more mature or retired folks that transport the new RVs from the factory to the dealers. The actual arrival time at the dealership is frequently affected by weather, driver fatigue, traffic etc. Several times we have been expecting drivers to show up in the morning by a certain time, only to get a call from them several hours later wanting to know what time we close and re-open in the morning. Better to show up late than folded, spindled or mutilated.

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tailgate

Thanks Tail_Gunner;

The VG-2000 looks very nice. I will need to contact them, because it does not show one for our 2006 F350.

Thanks again

Maxtor

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
we ran a seperate plug into the bed rear upright that houses the tail gate hinge. its pretty much a NOT seen unlesss your looking for it.

looks like your getting pretty excited but the new arrival.
aint it great :D :D

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
The VG-2000 looks very nice. I will need to contact them, because it does not show one for our 2006 F350.

1999-CMY F-250 & F-350 Super Duty Model No. VG-97-2000

CMY= Current Model Year :sly :thumbs

I'm kinda envious, there is nothing quite like getting a brand new "toy". Show us some pics when you get'em.

Don't forget to ask Robert on how to prevent those nasty "black streaks". :roflmao :haha

And BTW, give me a shout if you're coming through my "hood" on your x-country adventure.

Digital Oxygen

Got Boost?
Reaction score
I just run my cord between the tailbate and the bed. open the tailgate, slide the connector between the bed and the bottom of the tailgate, move it to one corner, and close the tailgate. there is enough of a gap to not pinch the trailer cord.

Scooter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would not run without a tailgate for an extended period. It is actually a structural part of the bed, and over time, the bed will weaken and welds could break to cause it to want to fall off. Definitely not a good thing.

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just run my cord between the tailbate and the bed. open the tailgate, slide the connector between the bed and the bottom of the tailgate, move it to one corner, and close the tailgate. there is enough of a gap to not pinch the trailer cord.

Thanks guys;
Digital Oxygen; That would be great, but I do not know if I have that much clearance on the tailgate... I will check tomorrow.

Tail_Gunner; I will upload some pictures as soon as I get it home. They are aiming for Friday. Where do you live? After leaving Maine, we will be going through Michigan and on over to South Dakota before heading west.

powerboatr; Yep,,, we are ready to go, but we will be waiting for good weather around April before we head out.

Scooter; If it was a chevy,, I would agree,, but it's a FORD.... I have had Fords and used them without the tailgate with no problem... Unless the new 2006 truck are made cheaper we should not have a problem. I like Digital Oxygen's idea, and I will see if it will work for us.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14