Clicking and pinging from rear end

MURR3061

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently traded my 08 in for an 09 f-350 six speed manual trans diesel due to too many problems.09 has 373 gears, and have 6000 mi on it now. When I let off the clutch in reverse, low, or first gears, I get clicking and pinging. Brought it to the dealer 3 times, they replaced front universal joint, re-greases the front spline in the drive shaft, replced rear pinion flange, and re torqued every bolt and nut from the cab back. Fords hot line told them to compare it to another like truck, but the problem is there isn’t any manual trans trucks around. Tomorrow an engineer from ford is coming to look at it. Is there any one else in the same boat??? Does this have too much power or torque for this design? :dunno

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently traded my 08 in for an 09 f-350 six speed manual trans diesel due to too many problems.09 has 373 gears, and have 6000 mi on it now. When I let off the clutch in reverse, low, or first gears, I get clicking and pinging. Brought it to the dealer 3 times, they replaced front universal joint, re-greases the front spline in the drive shaft, replced rear pinion flange, and re torqued every bolt and nut from the cab back. Fords hot line told them to compare it to another like truck, but the problem is there isn’t any manual trans trucks around. Tomorrow an engineer from ford is coming to look at it. Is there any one else in the same boat??? Does this have too much power or torque for this design? :dunno

No help here but I'll betcha the Ford engineer guy sez: It's because of the Rancho Leveling Springs.... You've changed the geometry of the drive train.

It would be interesting to hear what he actually sez though.. Let us know ??

Joe

Last edited:

MURR3061

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i thought the same thing, so i returned it back 100 percent stock!! the dealer never said a word so i dont think they noticed, or cared. i will let every one know 2morrow

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now that you've turned it back to stock, do you still get the Pinging/Clicking ?

Off the top.. I'd say there might be some issues with the Ring & Pinon set-up in the Diff that needs a Mic check ? :dunno

Joe

MURR3061

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ping,,,ping,, its still there

Well the dealership has had it from this morning, and at first they couldn’t find the noise, so they asked me to show the engineer from Ford what I was talking about, and after him getting near the rear wheel well he finally heard it. It was hard to hear because every time they test drove it they either didn’t release the clutch with out the throttle or they must have floored it. The engine noise was covering up the pinging and clicking, especially because the truck is empty. Luckily there is a paved hill behind the building and that was enough pressure to show them the noise. So needless to say they gave me a rental for the night and the engineer drove it into the service bay. The truck is stock, the noise is still there and who knows now? They already replace the pinion flange, front UV joint, greased the drive shaft spline, re-torqued everything from the cab back, I will keep every one posted.:doh:

Last edited:

MURR3061

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just an update, the noise is still there after they replaced the carrier assembly inside the rear end. This will be the 5th attempt in 7600 miles on an 09 to fix this problem. Lemon law??

MURR3061

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its still there!!!!!!!

Ok, I just got the truck back after the 6th time in the shop for clicking and pinging in the rear end. I guess the Ford engineer went to NY. to test drive a like truck to mine- 09 6.4L 6 speed manual trans 3:73 gears. Result, they put a brand new drive shaft in it with new UV joints; verified slip yolk spline was greased, new pinion flange and a new carrier assembly all with in the 6 visits. The noises are still there and getting louder and more clear there is a problem. Every thing from the transfer case
back has been replaced with the exception of the ring and pinion gears, and the axles. Help!!-mad-mad-mad

Last edited:

MURR3061

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does any one know anything about maybe rear wheel bearings?? Could it be?? Do they exist on this design?:dunno

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Yes these trucks have Full Floating rear ends, meaning that there are TWO bearings per wheel. You can check them by lifting up the rear end and turning the rear wheel and listening. GET A MANUAL!!!!

Dave

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58