Clicking and pinging from rear end

MURR3061

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks

Ok, great so you tell me to get a manual for an 09 super duty because it’s not a brand new reliable truck? I have been looking for one since the day I had my first S*** box 08 with nothing but problems and have yet to find one. (The black truck in the pic to your left.) I didn’t think I should need to have one to question Fords engineers being a 2009, my second brand new truck in 2 years. That’s what the multi billion dollar manufacturer should be for right? Thanks for the advice. I will keep my questions to my self when I find a repair manual to save space on the forum!

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I don't really care if you do, or don't, get the manual. If you have it, you can look up those types of questions and not have to be asking where the noise is from. You can LOOK! Now if you want to keep posting, by all means go ahead and post. The choice is yours. I have been here for several years and I have seen people try and get tough. You won't last long with that attitude.

Dave

MURR3061

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thank you SIR

Thanks for all your help senior Dave. The fact of the matter is, I don’t care about a manual or want to get into a peeing contest over how long or # of posts one may have. I am here utilizing this forum for what it was designed for from people that might have been down this road, and not a threat of how long I will last as a member or what ever else might tick you off doesn’t concern me, but if you can look in your manual, can you please let me know if it says there may be binding in the transfer case that would travel through the drive shaft if binding was an issue? If not, let one of the other members that might have knowledge about the problem respond, and go post your opinion or you truck picks some were else. Do you even own a 6.4L??? Either way, Thank SENIOR DAVE!! ;tu no offense to all

Last edited:

bigrigr

Real trks hv 3 pdls
Reaction score
Does the truck have to "move" in order to get it to make noise, or can you just "load" it up with the park brake on? If you don't have to be rolling, can they put it on the lift and get under with a stethescope to listen while someone "loads" it? Sounds like a problem with the transfercase or trans to me, but I wouldn't want to pull anything till you hear it for sure. Maybe listen through the transfer case housing while it does it, see if it is coming from in there. It's probably transfering down the driveline and leading them to the rear end when its actually up front more.

iracemine

black and tan
Reaction score
I think you are on to something. is it a clicking noise as the truck is rolling??? can you step on the brake and get it to click like once sitting still??? like it would be "slack" somewhere and not a bad bearing. Or yeah get it up on a lift and load it up with the brakes and do it up on a lift or dyno. If they cant help you out start to talk to the dealers head sales guy and start eyeballing out a new truck (if you know what I mean).

p.s. daves a good guy I think you guys got of on the wrong foot.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does the truck have to "move" in order to get it to make noise, or can you just "load" it up with the park brake on? If you don't have to be rolling, can they put it on the lift and get under with a stethescope to listen while someone "loads" it? Sounds like a problem with the transfercase or trans to me, but I wouldn't want to pull anything till you hear it for sure. Maybe listen through the transfer case housing while it does it, see if it is coming from in there. It's probably transfering down the driveline and leading them to the rear end when its actually up front more.

X2, and I've had wheel & axle bearings that creaked & groaned when you torque loaded them too. Found them to be defective.. cuz when I R&Rd'm.. the creak & groan went away.

Did Ford look at that/those MURR ??

Joe

MURR3061

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks

Thanks guys and nothing against Dave, my apologies to you again. The answers to the questions, Ford engineer has put the stethoscope on it but still points to the rear end. I agree with you guys and am in doubt though. I could just put the breaks on and let out on the clutch from about 1/4 of the way and sure enough it will click and ping any were from 4-8 times wile it engages fully and the drive shaft almost skips teeth or something, but not extreme like a broken gear. I really don’t even need to move the truck to duplicate this. It happens in 1rst low and reverse. when it does click, it is always on letting the clutch out and some times when there is down pressure, like shifting into 2nd in a parking lot but then letting off of the accelerator putting pressure like downshifting(if that’s clear). That’s why I can’t figure out about a clutch or transfer case problem. Has any one been able to make this happen by loading there truck with just the brakes??and joe, i am not sure about the bearings question, but will be going back to the dealer tomorrow to find all this out. really thanks for the help guys!!

Last edited:

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well MURR, now that you mention Clutch ? Don't know what Ford/HI is using in the 6.4, 6 speeds, but the OEM clutchs on the earlier PSDs are known to be purdy Crappy. Mine was.

Most will agree that they are/were to "Light Weight"... Namely.. the throw-out bearing assembly. Mine made a Clicking sound.. that sounded and felt like it was comeing from the D-shaft slip yoke area at first.. then it made the traditional, dry bearing noise. Sound related ??

Maybe you should ask Ford about the clutch too ??

Joe

MURR3061

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya, it sounds related all except the dry bearing noise I am not sure of what that would sound like. It defiantly sounds to me like a clutch problem, but they kept steering away from that for some reason. I did ask of it could be the clutch pressure plate or throw out bearing to the engineer and he said not likely, but then that’s when he just put a new drive shaft in it. So I called ford this morning, and got there permission to take it to a different dealer. There truck mechanics are older and seem to be more experienced so I got my fingers crossed. I really do not know what else to do at this point.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58