Clipped wires/?????????

dieseldork

dieseldork
Reaction score
At the base of the fuel bowl, pointing towards the turbo there is a white connector that is plugged in but the wires are clipped, I have no idea what it is I can take pictures if need be...Also at the base of the turbo pedestel there is a plug that is in but the wires are clipped....WTH I dont know excaclty what this is either.....I need some help here....

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
The one at the fuel bowl is the heat for the fuel. It is not needed. The one on the pedistal is the waste gate and it may be needed, but it may not be needed. No telling with the information provided.

Dave

dieseldork

dieseldork
Reaction score
The connector in the pedestil points back toward the fuel bowl, I thought it might be the ebpv connector, The connector is there but the wires are cut, Ive always thought my truck seemed a little weak when towing, Im not sure if this has anything to do with this connector or not. Ill post a picture of the connector on the truck, maybe this will exlpain things better....

dieseldork

dieseldork
Reaction score
Ok it looks like its the EBV actuator, looking at ITP s site they sell one that is blank, without this valve connector. Question is, do i put the wires together or keep them seperated????? also would doing a blank pedestel and the gutted larger outlet REALLY help or is it not worth the $250

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
The wires going into the fuel bowl supply power to the heater element in the fuel bowl. Sometimes when the element shorts out, it'll blow a fuse that also supplies power to the PCM. No power to the PCM will prevent the truck from starting. The quick temporary fix was to unplug the connector at the fuel bowl, replace the fuse and you're back on the road.

The plug going into the turbo pedestal is for the EBPV actuator. With a cold engine at idle, it is supposed to close, causing the engine to warm up faster. A little tube going from the front of the passenger side exhaust manifold sends exhaust pressure to a sensor at the front of the engine near the water pump & HPOP. With the "go-pedal" pressed and the EBPV closed, it causes an increase of exhaust back pressure to the sensor. The sensor sends a signal to the PCM which is supposed to open the EBPV. Regularly, that tube running from the exhaust manifold to the sensor either gets plugged with soot or gets a hole rusted in it. In either case, the sensor never detects an increase of exhaust back pressure. In turn, the PCM doesn't open the EBPV when the truck is still not warmed up and trying to go down the road. But with a severely restricted exhaust, it'll run like a pig with no power at all.

I'm going to guess you bought the truck used?? In either case, it sounds to me like a lack of sound maintenance in the past.

If your truck is rather doggy when towing, check the EBPV actuator on the bottom side of the turbo outlet and make sure it is fully opened. (Do confuse with the arm on top, that's the waste gate.) It's possible the EBPV actuator in the turbo pedestal may not be fully opened.

Last edited:

dieseldork

dieseldork
Reaction score
your correct on buying the truck used, excuse my ignorence but to check that the valve is fully open do I pull the exhaust elbow off to see if its open or can i just make sure its in a certain position? IE turned toward the turbo or toward the AC unit?

dieseldork

dieseldork
Reaction score
also can I safety wire the rod/valve to make sure it stays open fully?

Last edited:

dieseldork

dieseldork
Reaction score
Thanks guys for helping me out, im just a little nervous about what to do with the wires...

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Cut the wires so no wire is showing and tape the ends. Make sure they are not rubbing on something that could cause a short.

Dave

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14