Clunk noise in front end

airdrew99

Living for Him
Reaction score
I have a 2000 F-250 Powerstroke 4X4 crewcab with automatic. I replaced the links (or end links) on the front sway bar about 2 years ago (15,000 miles ago). The original ones were shot. I've noticed in the last year or so that when I'm braking (medium to hard), I hear a clunk noise. It sounds like it is passenger side in the front end. I've put the truck on jacks and checked the ball-joints and tie rods. They seem tight with no movement at all. The sway bar end links still feel tight. Nothing seems loose when I yank on it or hit it. The truck has about 165,000 miles. The noise won't occur if I brake easy/normal. When I am braking normal, then press harder, it clunks. What should I check? Thank you.

Drew

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Your ball joints are shot. Jack it up and pry up with a bar on the tire. You will see the top ball joint move. REPLACE THEM BOTH (the upper and lower ball joints) with Moog Heavy Duty Ball Joints.

Dave

airdrew99

Living for Him
Reaction score
DaveBen,
When I jack up the truck like you described, do I need to jack it on the front rearend (so the suspension is still loaded) or the chassis? Also, where can I get the Moog Heavy Duty ball joints? Thanks for all your help on this forum. You've answered questions for me in the past also.

Drew

Smoky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drew, my 2004 was doing the same thing. I jacked the front end up but found no problems with joints. It was simple though, the front right shock bushing was gone and the shock was spongy. I replaced all four of the Ranchos and the noise was gone. I had replaced the ends links about 19 months ago as well.

BTW GO DAWGS

airdrew99

Living for Him
Reaction score
Smoky,
Thanks for the heads up. I will definitely check that first. How much did those 4 Ranchos cost you? Where did you get them?

By the way, I attend Ole Miss. I root for Miss State as long as they aren't playing Ole Miss.

Drew

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
DaveBen,
When I jack up the truck like you described, do I need to jack it on the front rearend (so the suspension is still loaded) or the chassis? Also, where can I get the Moog Heavy Duty ball joints? Thanks for all your help on this forum. You've answered questions for me in the past also.

Drew

Let it hang on the springs and try to use the bar to move the wheel. Don't have to force it if it is loose. You are welcome for any information that we pass along. That is why we are here!

Dave :thumbs

Smoky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Smoky,
Thanks for the heads up. I will definitely check that first. How much did those 4 Ranchos cost you? Where did you get them?

By the way, I attend Ole Miss. I root for Miss State as long as they aren't playing Ole Miss.

Drew

They are about $199.80 shipped for stock height. I just sold an extra set last week on here for $150 shipped. I was in TSUN a few weeks ago teaching a class at the conference center. That was when it was covered white for the solid week. I'll pm you the online dealer.

Last edited:

airdrew99

Living for Him
Reaction score
I am thinking about removing my front shocks and driving around my neighbor hood to see if the clunking noise stops. What do you guys think of this?

airdrew99

Living for Him
Reaction score
Well, I pulled off the front shocks and they looked fine. They were definitely worn out, but the bushings were still intact. I replaced them and the ride quality is excellent!! I still have the clunk in the front end, so I will be checking the ball joints next chance I get.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14