Clunk noise in front end

bigrigr

Real trks hv 3 pdls
Reaction score
Another thing to keep in mind if the ball joints and shocks aren't the culprit, the brake caliper may be loose, or the pads inside of it may be moving up and down and hitting the caliper bracket. Seems kinda silly, but I've seen some be pretty noisy. Fwiw

airdrew99

Living for Him
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I haven't had time to check the ball joints or brakes yet, but I hope to next weekend. I do have a question. I understand that I should replace upper and lower ball joints at the same time. Do I need to replace both driver and passenger side if only one side is bad? I'm a full-time college student right now, so I want to be as cheap as possible. I know it would probably be better to do both while I have all the tools out. Also, can I rent the equipment needed, to change the ball joints, from Autozone or somewhere like that? I think I have all tools need except the big sockets and the ball joint press. Thanks for any input.

Drew

roger2003

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I haven't had time to check the ball joints or brakes yet, but I hope to next weekend. I do have a question. I understand that I should replace upper and lower ball joints at the same time. Do I need to replace both driver and passenger side if only one side is bad? I'm a full-time college student right now, so I want to be as cheap as possible. I know it would probably be better to do both while I have all the tools out. Also, can I rent the equipment needed, to change the ball joints, from Autozone or somewhere like that? I think I have all tools need except the big sockets and the ball joint press. Thanks for any input.

Drew

Unfortunatly it is best to do both, at least within a couple days of doing the other.:dizzy :sorry

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I would get Moog Heavy Duty ball joints if you are going to be doing them. They are not cheap but they are the best. The only tool that you will need to rent is a Ball Joint Press and that is like a big C-clamp with special sockets. Good Luck and have FUN.

Dave :)

airdrew99

Living for Him
Reaction score
Well, I checked my ball joints yesterday. Both passenger side are loose/bad. One feels a little loose on the driver side. I will replace all 4 at once either on my spring break or this summer. Thanks for all the help from everyone.

Drew

superdub01

SDD USMC/Wyotech
Reaction score
if none of that fixes the problem jack the truck up by the frame (unload the front suspension) and try to get play out of the front leaf spring bushings. they will deflect some because they are rubber but should not "clunk." this can cause your problem because the weight of the truck will prevent the movement until you brake hard enough and the bushings will clunk.

hrc200x

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I can visably see the bushings on my sway bar where it attaches to the front axle are bad. I think they are blue in color....would that be original? Where does everyone suggest buying them from? Are the stock ones poly or rubber? If rubber are poly ones available anywhere?

02Oilburner

SDD Power Hungry
Reaction score

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
I can visably see the bushings on my sway bar where it attaches to the front axle are bad. I think they are blue in color....would that be original? Where does everyone suggest buying them from? Are the stock ones poly or rubber? If rubber are poly ones available anywhere?

Stocks ones are black rubber. Too soft when they get old. Usually poly ones are red. Atleast thats what I replaced on mine.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14