Clutch Hydraulic Leak

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
This morning I walked out to a couple spots of fluid on the ground under the bellhousing. Fluid looks clear yellowish on the bellhousing. Doesn't smell like fuel. Doesn't look like oil or tranny fluid.

Which only leaves hydraulic fluid. The reservoir is about a 1/4 inch low when you hold it to level it out. The stupid thing is mounted on flimsy plastic that lets in hang down at an angle. Brake fluid is still full.

Pedal has had some pulsing in it the last couple of days.:dunno Anything else it could be.-popcorn

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
roosterdiesel said:
This morning I walked out to a couple spots of fluid on the ground under the bellhousing.
:doh:
Fluid looks clear yellowish on the bellhousing. Doesn't smell like fuel. Doesn't look like oil or tranny fluid.
That's because it is clutch hydraulic fluid, but I think you already knew that... :D

Which only leaves hydraulic fluid.
See? I told you you already knew it!
The reservoir is about a 1/4 inch low when you hold it to level it out. The stupid thing is mounted on flimsy plastic that lets in hang down at an angle. Brake fluid is still full.
Yeah, what's up with the "mounting bracket" that ford used? Anyway, 1/4" low is just that... low.... You've lost some fluid somewhere along the way, and my guess it is your slave cylinder.

Pedal has had some pulsing in it the last couple of days.:dunno
Pulsing pedal... Hmmmmm....
Anything else it could be.-popcorn
Nope... Looks like you've got some bad hydraulics, Antonio.

The best part is that it is SUPER easy to confirm. You don't even need tools. Just crawl under the truck, find the slave on the driver's side bellhousing, grab it, push IN on it, turn it 1/4 turn CCW and pull it out...

WARNING!!!!! DO NOT LOSE THE SLAVE CYLINDER ACTUATOR ROD INSIDE THE BELLHOUSING. It can and will fall out, especially if you snag it on the way out. If it falls into the bellhousing, you will have to rent a trained monkey from your local rental shop to go in after it, or have Budro's 5 year old daughter fish it out for you. :roflmao

If it is bad, it should be pretty evident from the fluid leaking out of it.

Ford sells the complete, sealed unit for about $135. Don't try to buy components from Napa. It doesn't work, it won't bleed, you'll never get it to function normally. I did it, and wasted 60 bucks. The pre-sealed unit is the way to go. The Master cylinder comes out the same way the slave does, push IN, turn CCW, pull OUT. You have to undo the actuator arm on the pedal under your dash first, though. Just pry it off with a screwdriver. Then, route the new unit, put everything back in, and put your actuator rod back on. Make sure Ford gives you a new actuator rod for the master when you buy the unit. The old one will not come out without destroying the old master, and it is a PITA. The new pre-bled units SHOULD come witht he rod, just make sure...

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
whatabudro said:
Check your torque convertor fluid
Now that ah thank about it, it sounds like tha defibrilizer done come off tha rotatanator an' done leaked all yer transmisserizatinator fluid out all over the driveway.

It's gonna cost ye a buncha money......

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
Well I don't think it was the kanutin valve.:dunno

Pulled the slave cylinder and it doesn't look like it's the problem. It may be seeping a little but no way it's the source of what I'm seeing on the ground about every other time I park.:dunno

Now what's on the bellhousing is darker. I guess I'll have to tear everthing off the top of the engine to look for earl leaks.:(

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
Its OK dude, that's not oil, hydraulic fluid or tranny fluid.

IT'S JUST SWEAT FROM ALL THAT HORSEPOWER

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58