Clutch Problems Please Help!

SeventyMach1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, something in my drivetrain has finally broken on me. And it's serious. I can't get the truck to move without getting it started in gear. So now it's stuck in my driveway and I am having to work on it there.:eek: I read that a notorious problem is the clutch fork breaking, as it is the weak link in these trucks.

My first question is where can I get a beefier clutch fork? I read that they make the stock one's out of a weaker pot metal.

My uncle at Ford was telling me that some of these have a solid flywheel and some have a dual mass? Mine being an early '99, what does it have? I need to know because I've seen different clutch kits.

Second, what is the best kit for me to buy? I don't want to spend my whole pay check on this. There are no future performance plans, so I don't need anything that is made for high HP/torque truck.

Third, what all should I get for the job? I know I need a clutch kit and fork.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went with a whole replacement set-up from LUK. New Flywheel, clutch plate, throwout bearing and clutch fork assembly. Check out the SDD Site Sponcors for availability.

As far as what you will need ? to do the R&R ? I got the Parts and had FORD do it. Unless you have a purdy well equiped shop... it's a BIG job, with lots of HEAVY pieces'n parts to R&R.

:dunno

SeventyMach1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok thanks Joe. I'll check the sponsors ... but I still wonder if my truck has the solid flywheel or dual. I guess I wil see once I get it all out.

As far as the whole shop deal ... I would have taken it to my dad's garage, but I cant get the truck to move. I have all the equipment to do it in my driveway, though. So no biggie there. I already have everything disassembled and am waiting for my dad to bring me the tranny jack in a couple of days.

Frankenstien

Frankestien
Reaction score
Justin.. all the SD's have the Solid Fly wheel, Sounds to me 1 of three things have happened,

Most likely, Bent Fork..

Slave Cylinder failure

pressure plate fingers have failed/worn through by the throughout bearing.

The least expensive route for me was to call South Bend, they have/had a special on clutches, for 500.00, this was/is a 4 puck ceramic-carbon disc, the clutch causes a bit more gear growl than the OEM, however once it gets broke it it holds extremely well.

pdt1081

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, something in my drivetrain has finally broken on me. And it's serious. I can't get the truck to move without getting it started in gear.

Check the fluid reservoir for the clutch. I just had this same problem. My slave cylinder started leaking and left me with the exact same symptoms you are describing...except my pedal went to the floor and stayed there. I was able to start the truck in gear, drive 30 miles to work in the morning, then drive 30 miles to the dealer that night. I let the dealer mess with it because I didn't have the time or a good place to do it. Plus they gave me a free loaner car for as long as they had my truck. It took two days for them to replace it because it took a day to get the part.

I plan on replacing my clutch myself after the first of the year, when I have the time and will be able to borrow another vehicle for a few days if needed. If it is just your master/slave you could save a few hundred dollars until you are able to do the entire clutch on your time.

SeventyMach1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pdt, Iv'e had the same happen to me in my old Ranger.

But this time .... there's no driving it. It will start in gear ... but not drive. No way I can shift it to another gear without shutting her down. Besides, the reservoir is full and there are no leaks.

Frankenstein, lots of helpful info. there. Thanks alot!

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW ? What Ever you do.. Be sure you get an Up-graded Fork & Throw-out bearing assembly. The stock stuff isn't as strong as it should be. When I compared the LUK stuff to what came out ? Apples and Oranges.

And.. Check the Tranny In-put shaft bearing, for any out of spec play. Seems as the T-out bearing is going south.. it >CAN< trash that in-put bearing some.

:dunno

paulkeith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What? all superduties are solid mass flywheels? Why does SBC sell a solid mass flywheel "conversion" for the 99-03 6spd then?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg