Clutch Problems Please Help!

SeventyMach1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what did you find out

Wow, it's been almost a year. I got deployed to Iraq and haven't been able to get on here much.

Turns out it was the fork. Not only was it bent. It was MANGLED. I went into a local transmission shop to price a clutch kit last year and ... as soon as you walk in ... they have bulletins on the wall. The first bulletin was in regards to the fork used on a PS/ZF combo. They are notorious for going bad. The only weak link in a ZF-6 truck apparently. I bought an upgraded one from Ford and a new in house clutch kit from that tranny shop. Went home and installed.

Only downside is I wish I would have redone the synchro's while I had the tranny out. I still have a grind going into 6th gear, every time.

Frankenstien

Frankestien
Reaction score
Grinding going into 6th, if you haven't done a fluid change yet, do one, I recommend Amsoil or Mobile 1 ATF. If after the fluid change you find you are still having issues, add 1 quart of 5-20 motor oil Synthetic. You'll find the ATF is very thin and does not always provide enough resistance to worn synchro's. This is a po-mans fix that has lasted me around 150,000 miles....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg