Cold air intake

brevelerib

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Call me crazy:dizzy but isnt the idea of the upgraded intake system to take cooler air from the outside of the engine..."zoodad" so why would someone purchase the open air elemnet for under the hood when temps are already hot...

I ask because I have spent the last 2 days reading about cold air intakes... Im looking to purchase one... any recomendations so far I like the S&B for the purpose of bringing cooler air in...am I wrong....Cheers :sweet

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're not crazy. :D But an upgraded system should also do as good or better job of filtration as OEM, and it should do it with less flow restriction. That way the turbine is moving max air into the engine. I sprung for an AFE II with PG7 filter a a few years ago, and what is nice about it is that it creates a compartment around the 'open' filter so that outside air (from front grill and from wheel well) is sucked in, rather than the hotter air around the engine. I got some pix of it somewhere on my profile.

As for relative importance of supply air temp upstream of turbo vs. increased airflow from reduced filter restriction (with as good or better filtration!), I dunno. I'm sure somebody has worked it out for our engine...but generally a upgrade to intake air is cheaper than an upgraded turbo.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Simply put ?

Cool(er) (denser) intake air can be compressed at greater volume, resulting in more Pressurized air, after the Turbo, in the Inter-cooler, Y pipe, Head Plenums and cylinders, (on the intake stroke), for better performance, than Warm(er) (expanded) air.

The Cooler the intake air... the Better.

Last edited:

02stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Simply put ?

Cool(er) (denser) intake air can be compressed at greater volume, resulting in more Pressurized air, after the Turbo, in the Inter-cooler, Y pipe, Head Plenums and cylinders, (on the intake stroke), for better performance, than Warm(er) (expanded) air.

The Cooler the intake air... the Better.

Well said BIG JOE. Cooler air is more dense and there by contains more O2 atoms per given volume than the same volume of warm air. :dizzy

I personally have the 6637 homemade tymar filter on my truck. Filters better than an oiled filter, and was cheaper than an intake kit. I like it, but in the end, it's you'r choice. But I must say, those enclosed S&B intakes do look pretty cool.:sweet

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14