Cold Fronts? with AIS?

dpantazis

Reaction score
greetings all-

Who uses a cold front / grille blanket? Likes? Dislikes?

All i have been able to find is the Lund plastic snap in inserts and the quilted blanket with snaps.

The snaps worry me, getting the adhesive to stick in cold weather is tricky but doable.

Also, after upgrading to the FMC AIS intake, I assume that any cold front will have to be modded to allow air to the intake.

Thanks

Dennis

Last edited:

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
I use a winter front all winter but it is very cold here. We get temps from 0 to -60 all winter long. Where do you live? You can get air to the intake with the winter front on, it flows up from the bottom and into the intake. Best deal I have seen on winter fronts is from Alaska Tent and Tarp. They run $30-$40 depending on what type you want. Check them out at AlaskaTent&Tarp.

Frankenstien

Frankestien
Reaction score
When I make my Annual trips Through Montana I will take a piece of card board, bend it and feed it betwwen the Radiator and inner cooler, I usually start by covering Just the upper half of the Radiator... I watch the Temp gauge to give me a clue as to if I need to make any adjustment... this has been working for me for the past 15 years.... If I lived in these areas full time I would invest in an Actual cover.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Be very careful putting cardboard right against the radiator. When you put it tight you stop ALL airflow as to where when you cover the grill you still have an air gap between the winter front and the radiator so the fan can suck some air through the radiator if things start getting hot. Every winter we see a few cars along side the road with steam boiling out from under the hood. Half the time it is frozen water in the radiator the other half it is cardboard against the radiator.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
I have a cold front installed on our truck to which it is mounted by Velcro strips,during the summer the bug screen goes on in place of the winter front.
The front is made of canvas and has a zipper that runs vertically in the center so it can be opened at 1/3,2/3 or closed.

Here's a photo of it at 1/3 opening last winter.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
I picked up my cover/screen from Canvascraftinc.com out of Minnesota.

Ask for Max(another Powerstroke owner):cool:

dpantazis

Reaction score
I am in Northern Illinois. It does not get as cold as more northern states, but I think it will help. I do travel up to the Dakotas and the UP often enough that I would not mind having one.

I will look into the two online suppliers listed. Alaska Tent looks interesting...

BBBxcursion

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got mine @ Cabellas and installed it last night. It fits great, easy install, and looks good too. I'm in the N. IL area as well, weather here is all over the place sometimes!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg