Cold Start=No Start

forumpete58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sure this problem has been addressed a thousand times and I've tried searching but I'm still curious. Any time my truck sits for more than a few hours in 40 degree or less weather unaided it won't start. I was told by a few people to replace my glow plugs but after talking to a more knowledgeable diesel mechanic I decided to just replace the GPR. Well last night it sat for about 4 hours in subfreezing weather but well above 0 and refused to start. What the hell do I do now?
Thanks guys!

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try using yer Block Heater. Plug it in for about 2+ hours Before yer guna drive/use it.

Yer Block Heater uses about 1100 watts so be sure and use a Heavy Duty extension cord. (put it on a 15 amp Timer)

Joe

Yer guna hafta replace yer Glow Plugs, Sooner or Later tho. Being a 99, they're prolly purdy tired & worn out. Been cycled a GOOD number of times.

Wingdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you really need to change your glow plugs man and your knowledgable mechanic friend should have told you to test your GPR first before installing a new one. If you don't know how to use an OHM meter then you can test the glow plugs to see if they are burnt out buy using a 12v test light hooked to the positive side of the batt. Then remove your wireing harnesses on both sides going into the valve cover. The four biggest pins on each side are the ones going to the glow plugs, two furthest forwards of motor two furthest back. That should help you out. These trucks don't start well without glow plugs.

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
I'm sure this problem has been addressed a thousand times and I've tried searching but I'm still curious. Any time my truck sits for more than a few hours in 40 degree or less weather unaided it won't start. I was told by a few people to replace my glow plugs but after talking to a more knowledgeable diesel mechanic I decided to just replace the GPR. Well last night it sat for about 4 hours in subfreezing weather but well above 0 and refused to start. What the hell do I do now?
Thanks guys!
Hey Pete. There are a couple of things that could be contributing to your problem. Your truck is not well, don't let anybody tell you that is what a diesl should do. I have bad glowplugs and I can start my pig up in 5 degree weather with no problem at all.

Here are the things that I think you should check...

1.) Glow plugs. If only a couple are bad, it should still start, but be smokey. If more than, say, 5 are bad, it could cause a starting problem. To test...
There are 4-prong plugs at the front of yur valve cover. Maybe someone has a picture for you to show you where. Pull the plug, each pin is a glowplug circuit. You need to OHM test each pin. 1 is good. Infinite is bad. Make a judgement call on them (ie, .5 is not very good, etc). I think my numbers are correct, someone correct me if I am wrong please!!!

2.) Batteries. Yes, I know it sounds fine when it turns over. However, even slightly low batteries can cause problems with firing off relays, etc. Get them tested for free at your local NAPA or some such.

3.) Compression. Test this last if nothing else pans out. Bad compression means hard starts, and it does not necessarily mean it will run poorly once started. This one is most unlikely, but if all else fails...

4.) HPOP pressure. This assumes that you may be making an ad hoc mistake. Because it is cold,a nd it got hard to start, you assume it is hard to start because of the cold. It may be completely unrelated. Check HPOP pressure when you turn it over to see f it makes enough pressure to pop.

40 degrees is not cold enough, IMHO, to make even a non-GPd rig hard to start. There is something else wrong. Try this stuff and report back. Hope this helps

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
Sorry, I just noticed the subfreezing part. That would make it pretty hard to start without GPs.

Randall

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys!
I had to use block heater to start during cold weather otherwise not starting at all. Stuck at work too waiting for engine to warm. Still studying what was going on I used my OBD II handheld analyzer that contained no error codes for glow plugs or anything else. That weekend was also time for me to change fuel filter and never had trouble after that. Outdoor ambient temperature remained the same minus 13 deg. C that week and engine started normally every time. That was two years ago and no troubles since. I maintain changing fuel filter once per year, longest interval. It could have been a poor dose of diesel from a certain pump that fouled the fuel filter.
Adding when block heater plugged in and if no heating, the original 110 VAC plug on truck had internal electrical short and I had to replace that otherwise would have waited a long time to get home that day.
2000 F-250 Superduty, 7.3 L turbo diesel. No mod's.
Randall

Last edited:

powerstroker24

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Injectors, If youve got some miles and glow plugs and relay are good and she runs good once warm you need injectors. But save youre money and plug it in.

JMF350

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
You said you replaced the relay, but did you test it to make sure it was getting power? Check for power on the big terminal (one will be hot all the time, the other when the relay energizes). If not switching on, test small terminals to check for key on power. You should have the single connector on the valve cover gasket... the outside 2 terminals on both ends are for the glow plugs. With ohm meter, test for continuity. If open, they're junk. With a test light, connect to positive battery terminal and test the 4 terminals I described above. If it lights, OK, if not, junk. Test BOTH batteries individually. While one will crank over enough it SHOULD start.... with one dead, it will put enough draw that the one good one can't handle cranking duties AND power everything else up. ICP should be around 400 psi. to start (not 100% sure on that number, but it'll be around there). Mine is a 99 and I have no problems starting down to 10-15 degrees without blockheater plugged in.... UNLESS the relay has gone bad. I've replaced roughly 1 every 3 years. Hope this helps.

protec.diesel

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
this sounds bad but don't know all the abrevations what is icp and how can i check its preasure and what if it doesn't have anough preasure

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg