Cold start

GOEGLEINBROS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the last few days the weather here in st. Louis have been back and fourth. cold enough to sleet one day and low 50s the next. i know its about time to get out that extension cord, but it seems like the truck is taking forever to turn over. i just put 2 new batteries in because they went bad. i thought that was the issue, but it wasn't. what do i need to look at?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any grey/white smoke ? If so, check out yer Glow Plug Relay and Glow Plugs.. There's info in the DIY/Wiki here.

Joe

GOEGLEINBROS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the truck back friday night and the shop said " GPR, glow plugs all checked out and that the battries were weak, even though they are only 1 month old. So took back the batteries, got new ones again, nothing changed. Still a weak start. Then they said possibly a bad starter, so I went to ford and bought a new starter. Still, NO change. I don't understand. Still a weak start. Where else could the problem lye???..This starting 2 piss me off. What do I need to look at?

Clyde99

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I don't know what kind temps' you have where you are atm but, the WTS light will go off before the glow plugs have actually heated the prechamber enough for a smooth reliable start. After the WTS light goes out count to 45-60 then crank it and see how that does for you. The glow plugs will be energized for uo to two minutes during a start cycle but the WTS will not reflect that.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
is it just cranking over slow, or taking a long time to start?

I've had both issues this weekend...

temperatures have made it seem like it's got 90w gear lube in the crankcase..

and when it does make cranking rpm it just rolls over & over & over & over...

I changed the oil and I think it's the oil that's screwing me up

GOEGLEINBROS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its just taking a long time to start. I'm gonna try to take it back to the shop today to see what is going on exatcly.. The temps in St, Louis have been going up and down, but i don't hink thats the case because our other truck starts fine. Anymore clues? So i

Last edited:

Clyde99

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
If you are still having issues with the cranking RPM, as it sounds like you are, check ALL of the connections, at the batteries, the starter and ground points. Also check for corrosion migrating down the battery cables, there may be a resistance issue. A voltage drop test at the starter would be a good place to start.

Diesels rely heavily on cranking RPM to fire up properly.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14