Question Cold weather, How do you start your 7.3?

elkyss81

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Well, before....my glowplug relay was bad, I was taking a jumper wire across the GPR for about 10 seconds and it would fire. Now that I replaced it, I let the WTS light go out then crank and it fires right up in 18 degrees without being plugged in. Does give off some nice cold smoke for about a minute though. After it starts I turn the heat on full blast and go hide back inside for about 15 minutes, then take it easy(shift about 1200rpms gotta love the 6 speed) for a couple of miles. Let er rip after that!

Butch Cassidy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
15 degrees or colder, 1 of 2 ways to start the engine.

- plug in the oil pan heater for an hour, or

- plug in the block hearter for 2 hours.

Either way, I cycle the glow plugs twice, and the engine fires up.

Hopes this helps,

Butch Cassidy

Bbasso

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
So yesterday I plugged in the heater, waited 1.5 hrs and didn't hear or see anything different from not using.
Is there a way to tell if the heater is doing it's job?
I've read somewhere that there is a hsss sound, anything else that should alert me to it's working or not?
Will the temp guage show a reading when I have the key in the ON position but not started yet?
Sorry for the noobie questions, I'm a first time diesel owner and want to make sure I give my baby the best I can.
thank you for helping.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Look at your meter. You will see a difference if it is running. There is no outward sign to show that your heater is working properly. It should start a lot easier in cold temperatures with it plugged in.

Dave :)

Bbasso

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Sorry, but what meter?

If you're refering to electric meter, My garage is detached with it own electric that I don't pay for.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg