cold weather psi...

Scot

;()
Reaction score
Anyone else notice their turbo being more audible in the cold? (it's been 10 below -15 above the last couple days) I can hear the thing screaming:sly No loss in power, actually feels like the it's running better than ever in the weather. The factory boost guage has maxed out about 18 instead of the normal 27-29, can the cold affect the boost reading?

Thanks all:confused:

firesoutmatt

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Anyone else notice their turbo being more audible in the cold? (it's been 10 below -15 above the last couple days) I can hear the thing screaming:sly No loss in power, actually feels like the it's running better than ever in the weather. The factory boost guage has maxed out about 18 instead of the normal 27-29, can the cold affect the boost reading?

Thanks all:confused:

Hmmmmmmm wouldn't think so but I'm sure the PCM has sensors and prob won't give as much boost when cold . After its up to operating temp it should run as normal. :sweet

Scot

;()
Reaction score
This was after it reached normal temp. Running for about an hour at highway speeds. Could the cold denser air just make more noise on the intake side?

firesoutmatt

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Sure mine makes all kinds of differnt noises when its real real cold out. Like today....:ford :cold 3

jwaring

Jim
Reaction score
I noticed the exact same thing the other day on mine. It was about 7 degrees out and I could only get about 19 or 20 out if it. Truck was warmed up all the way but it did feel like it was running pretty strong even with only 19 psi. I'm chalking it up to the cold temp!

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
boat load more power, figure that the intake temperature is that much lower meaning more fuel with the increased density of the air. I have a hard time getting more than 20 PSI, with it cold, I usually have to turn the heater blower down, but when it decides to peg the meter, hang on...

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
I drive around in cold temps from time to time and Yes the colder air will make more boost and some different noises. At -60 there are some real strange noises from every component on the truck.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14