Column shifter needs adjusted

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
Well my column shifter on my 99 is acting up. Sometimes in park it wont start so I have to put it in neutral to start it. A couple times I've put it in park but it wasnt and when I get out of the truck, it starts rollin backwards!:rant. Any pointers on adjusting it? Never done it before and wanted to hear from the pros before I go after it blind. Lever has alot of play in but all the letters line up with the indicator.

trackspeeder

Stone Crusher
Reaction score
You will find two torx screws at the base of the shifter. They are known to back off. Tighten them up and you should be good.;tu

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
Well I tore my column down a lil and did find two torx screws slightly loose. Wasnt enough to make a diff. The shifter is connected to a long shaft that is on top of the column and goes down towards the floor. There are two plastic bushings held in by two half clamps. These bushings are worn out and causing the excessive play. Im gonna go to ford and get those bushings. That will fix my prob. How do you get the key switch knob off the key tumblers so I can pull that damn top column cover off?? That will make it so much easier.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
If it's the black plastic thingy where you put the key into start the truck,that should pop right off,I've removed mine by hand.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
How do you get the key switch knob off the key tumblers so I can pull that damn top column cover off?? That will make it so much easier.

A while back, I did a mod to the turn signal cancelling mechanism. I did a pictorial on the mod that I did for the WIKI, but I don't think it ever got put in there. My point is, I had pictures on how to get the column apart and remove the key cylinder. If you do a search on "turn signal mod", you should find it.

On edit: Found it---
Turn signal modification

Last edited:

iracemine

black and tan
Reaction score
Well I tore my column down a lil and did find two torx screws slightly loose. Wasnt enough to make a diff. The shifter is connected to a long shaft that is on top of the column and goes down towards the floor. There are two plastic bushings held in by two half clamps. These bushings are worn out and causing the excessive play. Im gonna go to ford and get those bushings. That will fix my prob. How do you get the key switch knob off the key tumblers so I can pull that damn top column cover off?? That will make it so much easier.

This place is awesome. I too have noticed that my truck does not always get into the gear I am going for. I also noticed that I rest my wrist on the gear selector as I infinitely change the radio channel. So just like you can wear out parts in a gear box by keeping your hand the the shifter knob I wore something out on the shifter column. Have you found out the part numbers? and how much you had to pay for them??? :D

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
This place is awesome. I too have noticed that my truck does not always get into the gear I am going for. I also noticed that I rest my wrist on the gear selector as I infinitely change the radio channel. So just like you can wear out parts in a gear box by keeping your hand the the shifter knob I wore something out on the shifter column. Have you found out the part numbers? and how much you had to pay for them??? :D

Yea I got the two bushings from ford. They were a lil over $3 a piece. I will have to get the package they came in, cant remember the part number. Could also be some screws that came loose. I had two loose and tightening them made a big diff.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58