Considering trading 2010 for 2005

hdjeff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I currently have a 2010 F-350 SRW, with a sick kid and possible cuts coming at work and bills mounting up, I'm considering trading my 2010 in on a 05 F-350 dually. That way I can still have a truck to use for hauling an travel trailer and other stuff around the house. I have had a 7.3 before and 2 6,4's but not a 6.0. We have some at work but their in an econoline so they was pretty de-tuned. Overall how are the trucks. This change will save me several hundred a month in payments. thanks

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
As with most diesels, it is how the truck was maintained. If it was cared for it will do you good. If not, well... This engine has a couple of issues. It needs more head bolts, but it not going to get them. Head studs are the next best thing. If you run it in stock configuration, you should be good. If you add a bunch of power by way of a chip or tuner, you will be needing those head studs sooner than normal. I have not had any major problems, just the usual items like the FICM (Fuel Injection Control Module). Mine died a bit over a year ago and had to be replaced. No start when hot is a clue and hard starts when cold is also. Glow plugs are a non issue on this engine. Good luck in your selection.

Dave :thumbs

hdjeff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont plan on any tuners, maybe a cat back exhaust at the most. I have to say I love horse power and torque, but I think the tuners dramatically reduce the longevity of the truck. The only downside to buying used is that I dont know the history, other than a detailed inspection and road test its a crap shoot.

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
I've heard of lots of issues with the 6.0 from some people, but also heard none at all from others. Just a risky motor to have it seems. I'd just go back to the good ole 7.3. Still can get some good power out of them and are pretty much a bullit proof motor.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
It is not the same motor that the 7.3 is, but it is a good motor with the proper maintenance. hdjeff, get an Oasis Report on the truck before you buy it. Ford Service Dept can run it for you. This will show everything that Ford has done to that truck.

Dave :)

hdjeff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the only reason i'm considering the 6.0 over the 7.3 is they are readily available still clean and low miles compared to the 7.3. Its getting hard to find a "low milage" 7.3 these days. Thanks to the EPA, if it weren't for them, I bet it would still be around.

Zmann ARGH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would think you would be so upside down on your 2010 that you should keep it? plus you will be out of Warranty on a 6.0 as most have expired so 1 repair bill may sink you

Last edited:

HeavyAssault

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not worth the headache and the hit in the pocketbook. The 6.0 when treated and modded correctly is a stunner to drive. To pick one up from a dealer is rolling the dice just on the vehicle history. Maybe look around for a friend wanting to step up to a 2010?

pubs34

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a reply to the statement that a tuner will reduce the longivity of the motor, start searching about oil deluition in the newer trucks with regen, when the EPA says it does no harm to the motor cause a typical motor last for 125,000 mles and they expect that with the regen motors should make it to 250,000 miles you know something is wrong. Thes should be million mile motors and there are compareing them at the 125,000. I just don't like the issue that alot more oil comes out then goes in. Also the DPF filter is recomended to be changed around 125,000 miles. You don;t have to run big tunes, there i agree that extreme anything can be harmful,only been running Spartan tunes for about 3 months now and liked my truck before but really like it now.

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
The good ole 7.3 is a proven motor for sure. The 6.0 is too but you dont see alot with as many miles as most of the 7.3's have. Just havent been out as long. Just depends on how much money you want to spend is all. I agree, you will be losin money on gettin rid of yer 2010. Findin someone that will trade ya with some cash to boot might be better but doin mods to a 6.0 will cost you lots if you want some higher hp. Head studs will be a must.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58