Contitrac TR 18"

psycoticredneck

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
My Conti's are almost toast. only have 24K on them. i might be able to get another 2K out of them.....
waiting for tax time to get some new tires. looking at the Cooper ATR's in the 18's

what are you running your tire psi at?? I keep seeing posts where people are only getting 20-30K miles out of the Conti tires. I took delivery of my 07 in June of 06, ran the tires at the 65 Front/75 Rear specs and rotated them only twice in 60,200 miles. The rears were toast at 2/32" but the fronts still had 4/32" so I saved them just in case something happened to one of the new tires down the road.

I will agree with the fact Ford should have paid me to put up with these tires. I would just settle for getting the $175 back that I gave them to put all terrain tires on my $35,000 truck when I ordered it. Though I'm afraid of what might have come with it if I hadn't paid extra......probably some pos all season radial with tread that resembles what you'd see on your grandma's Oldsmobile:watchout

acjjkamp

Blitz and Harley
Reaction score
what are you running your tire psi at?? I keep seeing posts where people are only getting 20-30K miles out of the Conti tires. I took delivery of my 07 in June of 06, ran the tires at the 65 Front/75 Rear specs and rotated them only twice in 60,200 miles. The rears were toast at 2/32" but the fronts still had 4/32" so I saved them just in case something happened to one of the new tires down the road.

I will agree with the fact Ford should have paid me to put up with these tires. I would just settle for getting the $175 back that I gave them to put all terrain tires on my $35,000 truck when I ordered it. Though I'm afraid of what might have come with it if I hadn't paid extra......probably some pos all season radial with tread that resembles what you'd see on your grandma's Oldsmobile:watchout

I've been running them at the same PSI as you. reg rotations too.
They are just too soft, and no real off road tread (for the extra $ charged)

I think that the Ford design people that called these 'off road' tires never left the driveway or saw a dirt road.

psycoticredneck

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I see you're sig shows you 05 is a Lariat so I'm sure you had the white letter TR's. Mine is an XL and had the Blackwalls. I wander if there is a difference in the compound of the two tires. Just kills me how you treat your set the same as mine maintenance wise and only get half the mileage out of the same set of tires as me?? If my truck was always on the highway and not crawling around in the dirt on a farm, I probably would have bought another set of them as they worked great for me on the pavement and to get 60K miles out of a set of tires on a diesel truck is something to notice.

pizzaguy

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Conticrap 18s

These are the absolute worst tires I have ever had for traction in the snow, and in northwest IA we have had plenty this year.I put a set of Firestone TransForce ATs on my 07 F150 Lariat last year and my 08 Superduty has the Conti's.
When it snows the Superduty stays in the garage just because the tires are worthless for traction.I am planning on switching the Firestones to the
Superduty before we trade off the F150 as the tires are the same size.The Firestones are a 10 ply tire and are great for traction AND have a nice ride. No, I don't sell or work for Firestone, but I am impressed with them!

psycoticredneck

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I am planning on switching the Firestones to the
Superduty before we trade off the F150 as the tires are the same size.The Firestones are a 10 ply tire and are great for traction AND have a nice ride. No, I don't sell or work for Firestone, but I am impressed with them!

you better recheck the sidewalls on the Firestones. Being put on a 150 those tires should only be a C load rating as it's a half ton truck. Superduty's require a E load range. If they are indeed E range tires, the shop you bought them from needs smacked cause running the recommended tire psi for your F150 would have trashed those tires to due the higher load capacity, they require higher pressures to wear even.

pizzaguy

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
you better recheck the sidewalls on the Firestones. Being put on a 150 those tires should only be a C load rating as it's a half ton truck. Superduty's require a E load range. If they are indeed E range tires, the shop you bought them from needs smacked cause running the recommended tire psi for your F150 would have trashed those tires to due the higher load capacity, they require higher pressures to wear even.

I KNOW they are load rated E tires, that's WHY I put them on the F150.I towed a fifth wheel camper and wanted a heavier tire than what was on there.I ran 50psi in the front and 65psi in the rear when towing.Worked great and had a lot more stability when hauling the camper.I bought the Superduty last spring so I could get a bigger camper,which I did last fall.

psycoticredneck

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I KNOW they are load rated E tires, that's WHY I put them on the F150.I towed a fifth wheel camper and wanted a heavier tire than what was on there.I ran 50psi in the front and 65psi in the rear when towing.Worked great and had a lot more stability when hauling the camper.I bought the Superduty last spring so I could get a bigger camper,which I did last fall.

wasn't trying to give you any crap. I've just seen a lot of tire shops that refuse to put a tire such as an E on a half ton truck especially on tires with treadlife warranties due to the customer doesn't want to run the high psi because the truck rides to rough.....then they come back in 20,000 miles later expecting the shop to give them 4 new tires because the wore both edges off all four tires by running 35-40 psi in a tire that was meant to run at 60-70 psi. On the other hand, a guy I know who I work on his truck has a 96 Dodge Ram 1500. He went and bought a pair of used tires to get him buy till he could afford a new set a few months later. The idiots put E range tires on the truck and inflated them to 35psi not even bothering to read the sidewalls as all Rams that year ran 16" tires whether 1/2, 3/4 or 1-ton. He didn't know any better as he's not much more mechanically inclined past changing his oil and ran a pair of half tread tires down to the wire on the outer edges in a matter of 3 months due to not realizing they were actually underinflated.

I personally did use to run D's on a 1/2 ton back in the day when thats all I could afford a tow rig so I know where you're coming from on the better handling.....it's all in the tire psi when it comes to making a tire work on a non traditional application:D

If you do swap the Conti's onto the F150, just do the next owner a favor and let them know what you did if it's a private sale.

newt92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my 05 F350, I only got 30K on the factory Conts.:doh: Like everyone else says, they are worthless!!:rant I replaced them back in November with 305-65-18 BFG A/Ts. Its now a real truck!! :sweet

Jetpilot1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Conti's

Nice tire in the summer on the highway or around town, when the sun is out. Otherwise the worst tire I have ever seen. On any type of wet, snow, or ice, they are deadly - especially in cold conditions around any type of ice. I think if you do any kind of all season driving, get them off before you hurt yourself or someone else. I put a set of Toyo AT's on and what a difference! Not as quiet as the Conti's on the highway, but not that noticeable, and I don't have nightmares about driving the truck on the highway in cold conditions anymore. If you are driving around pulling your trailer in Florida, no problem, but otherwise get them off!!!!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14