coolant filter for the 6.0

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
I am going to be installing the coolant filter saturday if its not to cold, will try to get better half to snake a few pics

Merelind

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
That's great!!:thumbs :thumbs

My filter kit came today. I have to work tomorrow, so I was planning on doing it on Sunday. It's warm enough here, it's 85 degrees today.:cool: :sorry
I will see how it goes with your install. -popcorn
Our trucks are almost the same.
It looks pretty easy.

I do need to find some coolant.

Merelind

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
got it all done
need to write up a story
i had a few hickups but overall not to bad

8k on the clicker wow it adds up fast
still at 19. cents a mile op cost

Last edited:

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Looks good. I did mine in about 2 hours fron start to finish. I like your bracket better than mine. I will redo mine soon. Thanks for the idea. My installation is in my pictures.

Dave

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
Coolant filter install

I ordered the kit from bob riley at deislesite.com. a word about bob, normally he puts together good kits, but this one seemed to be missing piece parts, the long bolt with spacer only had one washer, the two bolts that attach the filter head to the bracket were also missing washers.
Me being a licensed aircraft fixer, this bothers me.

Anyway to the fun part, the truck was cold and so were the outside temps 47F, but warming up. I assembled all the goodies like Teflon tape, washers, and tools.
The first order of business was installing the filter head mount. It is straight forward and attaches in two places.
The first is (all references to sides are if your sitting in the drivers seat) the right side upper intercooler support. Loosen it up about 5 turns, no need to remove the battery cable plastic bracket on power cable to cooler bracket. The filer bracket has a notch in it to slide up under the big rubber bushing, be careful not to cut the bushing, push it up enough to align the lower mount hole with the large hole in the lower part of the cooler bracket.
Now insert the long bolt, with self supplied washer, into the lower mount hole and secure with nut and supplied washer.

The filter head gets two plugs and two valve or barb inserts.
I chose to go with the optional valves to make filter changes easier.
All fittings get Teflon tape and tightened very well, I chose to close the valves and fill the filter with coolant 50/50 and attached the filter head as an assembly to the bracket and tighten the bolts again add self supplied washers
Now the easy parts are done

Step back and take a deep breath, then drain about a gallon of coolant from the engine; I didn’t not do this and had quite a gusher when i cut the heater hose.
I decided to install the “T” fitting just behind the temperature control valve. I do not like the hose clamp arrangement but I am left with it until i can get more Stainless hose and proper fittings. The “T” supplied works well but I don’t like using hose clamps.

Now attach the hose and tighten al the clamps, keeping the valves closed at the filter head. Route the other small hose from the outlet side of the filter over the top of the fan shroud to the to the small return line on the left side upper radiator and install the other supplied small “T”.

Now open all valves and refill drained coolant or do like i did and replace lost coolant.
Start truck let her warm up and check for leaks.

Last edited:

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
Dave
the bracket I assume is a bob riley incarnation. It went right in . and it was deburred, which my hands really liked
and i was thinking the two closed off ports will provide a source for coolant temps

DaveBen said:
Looks good. I did mine in about 2 hours fron start to finish. I like your bracket better than mine. I will redo mine soon. Thanks for the idea. My installation is in my pictures.

Dave

Last edited:

Merelind

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Robert,

Nice job on the write up and the pictures. :thumbs
I agree about the washers . I bought the same kit.

I do question the overall mounting. I put mine on the same way you did with the bracket slid under the cooler mount bushing and the through bolt with nut and washer to the cooler mount. It seems to have a lot of flex up and down.
I stopped there, and didn't finish so it didn't have the filter filled with coolant.
Once filled it would be heavier.
What do you think about the overall design of the mount? Do you think it will hold up over time? Maybe an additional support bracket? Some of the flexing will be taken by the cooler mount.
I am probably just concerned over nothing.
Please let me know what you think. Thanks for your advice.

Thanks,:thanks

Mark

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
Mark
the mount does give somewhat and at first I was concerned as well. but the long support bolt seems to provide enough rigidity without being to firm.
i will watch it closely and if need be add additional support to the lower part of the bracket.
I emailed bob about "missing washers" . answer was a little vague.
I just thought for the $$ it should have included the four flat washers and two lock washers, .50 worth of washers is not asking for much.
I assumed it was a "complete kit" it was not, it was close but again, washers would make it "complete"
I am just a perfectionist I geuss
anyway so far so good,

Ford Doctor

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Please forgive my asking as I defer to your experience and observations.

I am at a loss as to why a coolant system filter is necessary. What is the reason behind filtering the coolant and what are the benefits.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64