coolant filter thoughts

FTG-05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been thinking about adding a coolant filter for a while now, especially after seeing some of the pictures that were taken of the used filters.

Most of the kits look to be fairly simple, and that got me to thinking. I have a remote oil filter kit that I had bought for my play toy truck but never did use. It is made to use the FL-1A or equivilant oil filter. Does anyone have a part number for a coolant filter that would be compatable with this mount?

I looked into this over a year ago and here's what I recall from that investigation since I, too have an extra Perma Cool oil filter mount.

Oil filters, fuel filters and coolant filters all have difference thread mounts for a reason: To prevent putting an oil filter for a fuel filter or a fuel filter for an oil filter. This is to prevent you from destroying an engine due to installing an incorrect filter type.

For example, the typical PH8A/FL-1A- equivalent oil filter is 3/4"-16 threads. There are no fuel filters or coolant filters with this thread type that I could find. Same thing with the other type of oil filter thread.

IRC, coolant filters usually come with 1-16" threads and most fuel filters with 1-14" threads. All of this is memory from over a year ago. I'll try to find a post I had on this subject and post it here.

One thing I did investigate was putting a different thread insert in my Perma Cool mount to fit a coolant filter (most mounts are pretty much the same, different uses have different thread inserts). However, I never heard back from them on availability or cost. It wouldn't be hard for someone to make a couple, but then the cost advantage of using an already available mount is lost.

Having said all that, check for yourself at the Wix filter site; plug in any filter type, Wix or not, and look at the specs and see if you can find a match for threads and gasket size. http://www.wixfilters.com/filterlookup/index.asp

In the end, I just ordered the coolant filter setup from Bob Riley at the Dieselsite.com site. Bob's good people and I'll do business with him again.

Thanks,

Al

Last edited:

firemediceric

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm comforted to hear good things about Bob at The Diesel Site. It's nice to know there's people that will do the right thing and not focus on just the sale of a product.

01SMOKINSD

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I just ordered my 203 stat and housing and coolant filter setup from dieselsite yesterday. Ill post back and let everyone know how difficult it was. Hopefully only a few beers needed for install.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the filter set up is a cake walk ! just make sure you place the "T"
on the radiator size (so it flows coolant to the bypass filter all the time).

Place the "T" behind the radiator valve & itll only flow coolant when you
have the cab heat on.

KansasDiesel

fly'n low on WVO
Reaction score
What I did was replace my water pump with another one with the filter boss built onto it, It didn't take long to change and the filter is easy to get to and replace.
I have all the part numbers that were required for the mod. it may take me a little bit to find where I put them though. :rolleyes:
I didn't notice what year truck or engine you have but mine is the 7.3

chief2

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Firemedic
I installed the coolant filter and higher temp. thermostate when I replaced my water pump at only 32K. It didn't take long for the first filter to clog up. It is amazing the crap that is floating around the coolant system. The only thing I have noticed is that I keep getting an antifreeze smell from the front of the truck, but no leaks. Has anyone else experienced that when using the coolant filter?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I have a coolant filter on my truck (for a few years now) and I have never smelled coolant around my truck at all.

Dave

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a coolant filter on my truck (for a few years now) and I have never smelled coolant around my truck at all.

Dave

Ditto here. I have had one on now for nearly a year, no drips no smells.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg