coolant filter thoughts

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ditto here. I have had one on now for nearly a year, no drips no smells.

+1 no leaks or smell (though they WOULD be easy to find/spot considering
the few connections you have to make for the bypass filter install.

01SMOKINSD

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
OK... UPDATE. Just installed the coolant filter kit, 203* t-stat and new upper rad hose. The filter kit was a breeze. The T-stat is giving me a little bit of trouble. Cant seem the get the new housing to quit leaking. It has a ver small seap at the rear of the housing. And, I even bought a new one to try and eliminate any leak possibilities. Im thinking that Im going to pull is back apart tomorrow and try putting a little bit of silicon around the new housing. Im open to any suggestions anyone may have as to fix the slow leak.

firemediceric

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Irritating leaks

I installed the coolant by-pass the other day. I had a tough time getting the block drain plug out. I thought a 3/8" drive extension would fit into the square hole, but it was too big. I went to Advanced Auto and Sear's, but they did not have anything that would work. I eventually ground down an extension until it did fit.

What did you guys use for this?

I installed the kit from Diesel Site, along with the shut off valves I ordered with the kit. Where the valves thread into the filter head there is a very slight leak. I continue to tighten them down a fraction of a turn at a time but I am to the point that I think I am putting way more torque on them then I should:eek: .

Maybe the PSD gods will be smiling on me today and maybe they won't leak after that final turn I put on them last night?

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you wrapped the shut off valve threads w/ teflon tape right ???

firemediceric

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you wrapped the shut off valve threads w/ teflon tape right ???

Yes. One and a half wraps on each. No leaks where the hose barbs go into the valves, only where the valves go into the filter head.

Although I knew to do so, it would have been nice if the need for T-tape was included in the kit instructions for someone who is as much of a novice (dumb ass) as myself:rolleyes:

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
those valve to filter head threads were fairly sloppy if i recall...
if thats where its leaking then id pull 'em off and wrap it GOOD...
couple/3 times.

firemediceric

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip. I took it for a drive yesterday after torquing them down even more. I popped the hood when I got back and did not see any drips.

Hopefully everything is good now. The coolant filter is done, the Dahl 100 is on. I guess next I'll start shopping for a by-pass oil filter and an external trans filter, after I save up a little more $$$$

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed the coolant by-pass the other day. I had a tough time getting the block drain plug out. I thought a 3/8" drive extension would fit into the square hole, but it was too big. I went to Advanced Auto and Sear's, but they did not have anything that would work. I eventually ground down an extension until it did fit.

What did you guys use for this?

That was a real irritation, until I found a piece of 5/16 bar stock on my bench!:thumbs

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg