Coolant flush procedure

Flopster843

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that evans stuff better last 3.5 times longer...cause its 3.5times more expensive !

I thought the main benefit to the Evans coolant was that it contained no water and had less corrosive properties along with a reduction in colling system pressure, therefore causing less stress on hoses and such. In theory it should also help to cure the "puking" problem so common since the boiling point is around 350-400 degrees compared to the approximate 250 degrees of regular 50-50 mix. If I ever drain my system for any reason I'm thinking about replacing it with Evans unless you guys think that's a bad idea for reasons other than cost.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i suspect if you get the engine THAT hot youll have other issues...

@ 70% the G05 is good for -90*f / 277*f
http://www.valvoline.com/products/zerexg05.pdf

If i had to buy 7 Gallons @ 35 bucks PER gallon id be
afraid of busting a hose and loosing it on the GROUND.

wouldnt take long to see 235 bucks flowing down the street !

spindrift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Back to the original post...

I drained the radiator and opened the driver's side block plug. Probably drained somewhere around 5 gallons of the original coolant. Added Prestone coolant system flush (a little on the heavy side) and ran the truck for a good 3+ hours. I've now flushed the system with over 30 gallons of distilled water and I'm still seeing a fairly noticeable discoloration of the drained water.

Maybe I used too much chemical flush and I dissolved the internals.:eek: :roflmao

Seriously though, I thought I'd be seeing clear water by now.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow i never thought of using the coolant system flush...
you ran that stuff thru the heater core too right ?

only way i know to do that is to turn on the heater (dash control)

spindrift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, ran it thru the heater core as well.

Hey Bush...maybe that Gold wasn't as good as I thought it was.;)

Makes me want to remove the oil cooler and inspect its condition. Maybe tomorrow.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
youre gonna tear in to the top of the engine down to inspect the oil cooler ???

yeah that gold coolant is crap...you should have seen all the garbage
my by-pass filter extracted from it :D

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're running straight distilled in it now, you're probably seeing some rust from the block, don't forget you have some dissimilar metals in there, iron on the block, and aluminum for the radiator. As long as it's still translucent, you're okay. Really, distilled is kinda overkill for flushing purposes. plain old tap water is plenty fin for flushing it out. Now if you want to be anal about it, I suppose there is a fractional benefit from using distilled or deionized water with the new antifreeze solution, but when you figure in the anticorrosive agents in the coolant, it's pretty much a moot point. Let's face it, the motor wasn't assembled in a clean room, there's gonna be dirt in it someplace

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58