CPS Failure? or not?

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RazzyB said:
Does the "Water in fuel" light come on at startup? I've never seen it lit, wondering if it's burned out or something else...I drained the fuel bowl this morning before leaving for work.

Also, could it be possible that the ignition switch is to blame for this?

I'd have to go look now. But I think ALL of my lights turn on for a brief second or so before going out. You've got like 5 #194 bulbs for overall lighting at night, and then a WHOLE BUNCH of #37 (or maybe its #87) smaller bulbs behind each indicator.

I have a picture at home of hte backside of my cluster. I keep meaning to put it online and never do.

RazzyB

Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Ford_Forgotton said:
I'd have to go look now. But I think ALL of my lights turn on for a brief second or so before going out. You've got like 5 #194 bulbs for overall lighting at night, and then a WHOLE BUNCH of #37 (or maybe its #87) smaller bulbs behind each indicator.

I have a picture at home of hte backside of my cluster. I keep meaning to put it online and never do.

I suppose it's a real :cussing: to get to the back of the cluster? :dunno

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RazzyB said:
I suppose it's a real :cussing: to get to the back of the cluster? :dunno

*I* dont think so, but then I have had a ton of practive.

1. remove radio
2. remove two screws along upper edge where radio was
3. remove headlight switch
4. remove ESOF switch if equipped.
5. Remove dash by grabbing upper edge with fingertips and pulling while working along edge
6. Unplug powerpoint plug and airbag key if equipped
7. set dash to side
8. unscrew gauge cluster screws
9. GENTLY release the gear indicator display from the bottom of the cluster (if AUTO tranny)
10. pull cluster outwards, and unplug the 3 wiring harnesses in back
11. remove cluster.

General rule of thumb is, if you think you have a bad bulb, REPLACE THEM ALL. Otherwise, expect to have others burn out at random and have to repeat the above process.

It looks like a lot of work, but I can remove my gauge cluster in less than 5 minutes. In fact, mine isnt even screwed back in because I keep meaning to remove it, repaint the back of the overlay and re-align my speedo needle which is 7mph off because I didnt put it on right the last time.

RazzyB

Mad Scientist
Reaction score
RazzyB said:
Well, since that time, she has started acting up again, especially on warmer afternoons or when engine is warm. Seems to start after about 10 minutes.

I'm not sure, since I have a brand-new CPS, that that is the problem... here are a couple of observations:

• if I crank immediately after the wait to start light goes out, she won't start - I need to count to 10 or so after that, and even then it's becoming iffy
  • wait to start light (and, oddly corresponding chime (x5) does not come on during most of the failed attempts
  • cold starts seem to be fine (<55 deg F outside)
  • the oil pressure idiot gauge doesn't register until after ~1 sec. of cranking

Could this be a fuel pressure issue? GPR? Anyone have any ideas? Truck has new CPS, new alternators and new batteries. The starter sounds strong, she's just not kicking in!

Just tried again, and no luck.

OK, new day, same problem.

This time, she started up, ran for 20 seconds, then died. Could not get restart...wait to start light did not come on (even briefly)...and it does not appear the fuel pump is getting any power, as it wasn't doing the typical 20 second pumping. Twiddled all of the harness connections under the dash and at the fuel pump, still no luck. :dunno

Please, if anyone has input, spill it here, for all to see!! Thanks!

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im still leaning towards computer.

No WTS light, and no fuel pump? those are both controlled by signals from the computer.

You took the 6-pos chip out correct?

RazzyB

Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Ford_Forgotton said:
Im still leaning towards computer.

No WTS light, and no fuel pump? those are both controlled by signals from the computer.

You took the 6-pos chip out correct?

I have it set on the stock position.

RazzyB

Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Well, after again realizing that it wouldn't start, and that a tow would be three hours away (and that AAA will not tow a 1-ton...), I asked my wife to again come get me...

The truck started again, and I got it home. I think my wife is gonna shoot me. I'm not gonna try for the trifecta, though, I am gonna leave it at home, and try to figure out how to reproduce the problem for the service dept, by trying to start it at half-hour intervals until I can reproduce the no start - then I'll have to do the same thing tomorrow and hope that it works for the dealer. I must be insane!

There sounds like a relay under the dash is not clicking when the problem is occurring. WTF...?

I know the dealer is gonna sh*t when they see the ISSPRO shutoff, the gauge senders, and the 10K mod, and the chip. I think I'll take off the 10K and maybe the chip...?

And y'all gotta forgive me, I'm gonna post this at the other site to see what input I get. Don't take it personal, Daryl :thanks

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
Brian, I would pull the chip. If the stealership trys to pull codes it may give them some problems.

Scott

RazzyB

Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Ford_Forgotton said:
Yeah, thats what I was meaing, REMOVE the chip, not "set it to stock".
Yeah, after I find the timepoint this evening that she won't start, I'll remove the chip and give it a go. :dunno

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Svttim