crash bar...

paulkeith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not sure what year it was added, but i guess sometime in 00 or 01 or 02, ford added the crash bar and lower trim to the front bumper just below the front spring mounts.

I want to remove mine. Any drawbacks? The way I see it, it may cause me to go OVER a honda, instead of transferring all the force into my frame in a front collision.

Anyone removed theirs with negative effects? I know people have taken them off, etc.... Just looking for opinions on its functionality, if i should leave it or not, etc.

Thanks,
Paul

Last edited:

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Personally I would want to leave all the beef I could on the front-end if I was thinking crash. I imagine Ford engineers which do some funny stuff from time to time did some testing and research before installing such a bar and I would guess that your insurance company expects it to stay there. Just my thoughts on the subject.....

trackspeeder

Stone Crusher
Reaction score
Ford installed the bar on 02 and up. No draw backs on removing it. It's job is to prevent you from flying over the little turd bucket cars.:D

But you might have more damage if you lauch over the little car. :dunno

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah but if its the little bastards fault and they go UNDER then
ya get a new truck :D

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
I would leave it on, even if it was the other parties fault, I would hate for them to be badly injured or even killed because my 4 ton monster landed on top of them.

paulkeith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah, true. that's my main issue...but i honestly don't think that little bar is going to make it go one way or another. we have to be more careful than most drivers in the first place.

thanks fellas. keep the thoughts coming.

Diesel

Cetane Addict
Reaction score
I removed the one on my 02 when I installed a Road Armor bumper. I didn't like the way it looked. If your truck is stock height I would leave it, you can't see it anyway. If your truck is lifted then the bar will not work as it was designed due to the change in ride height. I think it would become a guillotine if you hit a small car with a lifted truck. Save the little guy and remove it.

I cut the mounting bracket off even with the springs for a clean finish.my .02

newt92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 03 has this on and looks funky. I may mount tow hooks on since I don't have any now. The 2wds sit low already don't know why they are needed anyway.

paulkeith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
woah, i didn't know tow hooks were an option. you truck looks pretty slick.

so i think i may take it off and snap some pics tonight. TBD.

Paul

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58