Crumm's Extended Hitch Project

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sucker lookes good and strong. Let us know how it works out for you.
Have fun on your trip.

Johnswiftm

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Not bad in theory but you have nothing that is load tested. If it ever had problems that would be a concern. Hopefully it will work well for you.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Not bad in theory but you have nothing that is load tested. If it ever had problems that would be a concern. Hopefully it will work well for you.

:confused:

Crumm said:
A standard 18" extension that goes into a factory receiver is rated for 350/3500 as long as the factory receiver is rated for it minus 1/3. My stock receiver is rated for 600/6000 so that puts it at 400/4000 with the extension. Both my boat with trailer and my wells cargo are much less than that so I would be good with just the extension. Even though I would be fine I wanted a little more for our rough Alaska roads

The extension is a factory built item with a weight rating stamped on it. I am guessing that Reese must do some sort of testing on there products? I just added some more support to it and also added a license plate holder. I just wanted a little more support since our roads are rough. If I was going any longer than 18" then I would have went with a superhitch or Titan but Reese and many other manufacturers sell standard 18" extensions with ratings up to 400/4000. Some cheap ones are only good for 300/3000 but this one is stamped 400/4000. I know I won't have any problems since this setup is twice as good as it was but the base of it has been tested.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Update

Let us know how it works out for you.
Was putting the summer gear away today and did a thorough inspection of the hitch extension. We have two seasons on the hitch now and it has performed flawlessly. Must have around 4000 miles with it towing either the wells cargo or boat and not one worry or problem :) This winter I am going to move back to the trailer and do some modifications to it :sly

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg