Crumm's Extended Hitch Project

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
A standard 18" extension that goes into a factory receiver is rated for 350/3500 as long as the factory receiver is rated for it minus 1/3. My stock receiver is rated for 600/6000 so that puts it at 400/4000 with the extension. Both my boat with trailer and my wells cargo are much less than that so I would be good with just the extension. Even though I would be fine I wanted a little more for our rough Alaska roads and here is what I came up with using stuff I had laying around.

A while back in this thread I asked about the rating of the factory bumper and found out it was rated at 500/5000 so I decided to go ahead with my extension plan.

Here is a picture of the plan from the bumper thread:

Extexample.jpg

With this design the tongue weight of the trailer will be transferred into a straight pull on the factory bumper which has a pull rating of 5000 pounds. The upper link is a upper link off a tractor three point hitch so it is stout. The upper link will also add a quite a bit of straight pull support.

Here is the project about completed. I still need to weld it all up and then paint it.
sticker009.jpg

sticker007.jpg

Here is the view from the back with step up and down. Notice it doubles as a license plate holder as well as a electrical plug mount.

sticker003.jpg

sticker001.jpg

This triangulation of the extension makes it solid as a rock. Any constructive criticism before I weld it up and paint it???

Don't comment on the fact that I can't get the pin out of the rear end of the upper link due to the electrical plug in the way. It was designed like that to keep the pin in even if the clip falls off ;) Or I might run the pin in the other way after I remove the plug to paint it. :D

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
looks good crumm, of course, i have no knowledge with this kind of set-up, so no critisisms from me.

i like the CAT tag too. :thumbs

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
i like the CAT tag too. :thumbs

I use to have that on the front bumper and thought it would make a good pattern for the new hitch. I will have to move the CRUMMY license plate back to the extension one I get it done. Just a matter of four 1/4" screws but I wish there was a quicker way, maybe some 1/4" screws with wing-nut heads?

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good job Crumm;

Seems you are always thinking about a better way to make your truck work for you.

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
Kool project Crummy............

When I had my utility trailer built I had a 5' tounge with removable(theft proof hitch) put on it. Sure like not having to worry about the trailer hitting the truck when turning sharp.

Tbar

Russ

Found On Russ' Drive
Reaction score
Crummy it look's real nice.:sweet One question though, is there enough room above the hitch ball to lower the camper step when the trailer is hooked up? looks kinda close in the pic.:confused:

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
One question though, is there enough room above the hitch ball to lower the camper step when the trailer is hooked up?

Nope. When the trailer is hooked up the trailer tongue becomes the step. I would either need a drop hitch but then the trailer would be nose down or I would have to extend out farther but I don't want anymore than 18" so this is how it is. When I put in the WD hitch for my wells cargo it does have a 8" drop to it so the step will work but the boat uses this one.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg