Cruse control buttons?

dboyw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello to all. First post here.

I have been having difficulty setting the cruse to come on. After much pushing and hitting, it works. I feel I can say it is not the clock spring, horn works and no airbag lights.

Any ideas? Do the buttons come off to be cleaned somehow?

Thanks for the help.

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
dboyw said:
Hello to all. First post here.

I have been having difficulty setting the cruse to come on. After much pushing and hitting, it works. I feel I can say it is not the clock spring, horn works and no airbag lights.

Any ideas? Do the buttons come off to be cleaned somehow?

Thanks for the help.

The airbag complicates things. Working around them gives me the willies. But to replace the switches (they're probably bad), you'll need to remove that airbag pad to get to the wires, if my old truck was like yours is. Disconnect the batteries and wait about an hour for everything to discharge. Then you should be able to take the airbag pad off safely.
Click here to go to one of our forum sponsors who can get you the switch assembly at a decent price.

If you can get ALLDATA information, someone who is a service tech in a dealership, or some other means of getting the information of how to walk you through the procedure of replacing the switch assembly, it's not a costly repair, less than $40 for the parts. As a last resort, try spraying some contact cleaner in the seams between the switches. Chances are someone has Armor-All 'ed the hell out of it and that is what is making your connection intermittent. No, the buttons DO NOT come off! You'll only ruin them if you try to pry them up.

Last edited:

Fire1

Certified Diesel Driver
Reaction score
To remove the airbags, you do need to disconnect the batteries. But an hour wait is over kill. Per the clases I have had on airbags a couple of minutes would be the absolute MAX time needed. I'd give it 5-10 min for the heck of it. I've removed a few. I just try not to place myself in front of them, just in case. And when you set it down, keep the bag facing up. Although it is cool to see one launch into the air. (we did this in a class :sweet ) Not likely though w/o a trigger. Just take some precautions and all is well.

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
My mechanic friend told me to disconnect the batteries and go to lunch. Proceed with the project after lunch. He takes an hour for lunch. If it only takes 15 minutes, great.

JohnBoyToo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I too might take the overkill route :)

If you've never seen one of those fire off - they CAN kill you if you are turned the wrong way !!!!

Not sure the risk is worth it for the do it yourselfer - IMHO :)

Fire1

Certified Diesel Driver
Reaction score
You can never be too safe. But I was told the new vehicles do not really need time. Some older vehicles had a capicitor somwhere. New ones supposedly do not. This class was about 5 years ago. Better safe thought. Yes the WILL kill you if you are hit right. They are VERY powerful!! Is cool to launch one off the ground though. :D

JohnBoyToo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thread stealing warning :)

Do you guys respond to auto accidents ?

Have you had to respond to an accident with a Hybrid yet ?

I wonder about the 330Volt batteries in those...
not sure of the amperage, but bet it's high enough to HURT bad if it is used to power a car !!!!!!!!!!!

What, if any, classes have youse guys had on those ????

Last edited:

Fire1

Certified Diesel Driver
Reaction score
Well as a matter of fact, we have a class this month on just that I hear. We had one a year or so ago, but I was on vacation :D . Yeah they will more than HURT you. Think DEATH. :eek:

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
That which doesn't kill you will keep you safer?

Yes, most people don't give it a moment's thought, but nanny government in its infinite wisdom decided to put a high explosive charge in the steering wheel of every passenger vehicle manufactured today. If the crash doesn't kill you, the airbag might. But it may save your life. A crapshoot. No substitute for seat belt and shoulder harness.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg