Question cylinder drain plug

Laughing Buddha

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
So after hitting my head against my hood for several days I have discovered that the cause of erratic idling and lack of acceleration is most likely being caused by a lot of water in the fuel.

I pulled a 10oz sample of fuel and let settle over night. In that sample i had about 3 tbs of water in bottom of jar. and the fuel was visibly emulsified

I drained the entire tank, changed the fuel filter, added new fuel. Its runs slighlty better but same problem.

So my questions:1) is it totally necessary to bleed the cylinder head drain plug?, and 2) what is the recommended tool to turn that plug? I cannot reach that damn drain plug for anything.:dunno

opinions, comments. thanks!

'99 f250 7.3

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So after hitting my head against my hood for several days I have discovered that the cause of erratic idling and lack of acceleration is most likely being caused by a lot of water in the fuel.

I pulled a 10oz sample of fuel and let settle over night. In that sample i had about 3 tbs of water in bottom of jar. and the fuel was visibly emulsified

I drained the entire tank, changed the fuel filter, added new fuel. Its runs slighlty better but same problem.

So my questions:1) is it totally necessary to bleed the cylinder head drain plug?, and 2) what is the recommended tool to turn that plug? I cannot reach that damn drain plug for anything.:dunno

opinions, comments. thanks!

'99 f250 7.3

Just my .02, but because it's running (but poorly) it might not be Absolutely Necessary.. to purge the fuel rails... you could just run it, 'til the system purges itself.. It's guna take a few fuel filters to get there though.

Along with the Filter changes, a few Good doses of Diesel Kleen (grey jug @ WM) might also help ? Then run the recommended dose of Diesel Kleen.. for the next 4-5 tanks full.

Joe

Laughing Buddha

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
thanks for your .02. I have never had a water in fuel issue this bad before. I have been thinking that there was air getting in the system somewhere or the icp sensor was bad,etc. (with the help of other members and mechanic friends).

does water in the fuel mimic the symptoms of the above mentioned problems? i had two folks plug in diagnostic computer and no codes were pulled. water in fuel light is on though.

JRJ04

Reaction score
Yes I def think your symptoms described could be from water in the fuel.

Laughing Buddha

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
well you should know because the bad fuel came from texas.........:clap:

just messin with ya, but i am serious about the fuel. got it while driving back to new orleans from austin.

hopefully its the water and not anything else that will require hrs of labor...

Grant

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for your .02. I have never had a water in fuel issue this bad before. I have been thinking that there was air getting in the system somewhere or the icp sensor was bad,etc. (with the help of other members and mechanic friends).

[does water in the fuel mimic the symptoms of the above mentioned problems?] i had two folks plug in diagnostic computer and no codes were pulled. water in fuel light is on though.

WIF light On, water in the sample, Emulsified looking (cloudy/milky).. no codes... runs bad.. sure sounds like it's obviouse.. to me.

Yer Call, but I'd work on getting it back to where a fuel sample is CLEAR & CLEAN.. before going after anything else.

Joe

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have to be so careful about where we fuel up. When I am on the road I only buy from dealers that sale lots of fuel, and if I see a tanker dropping fuel, I go on down the road. All diesel tanks in the ground have water in them.
Doug

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have to be so careful about where we fuel up. When I am on the road I only buy from dealers that sale lots of fuel, and if I see a tanker dropping fuel, I go on down the road. All diesel tanks in the ground have water in them.
Doug

;tu

Having spent 25 years in the Reciept, Bulk Storage, Delivery and Sale.. of a complete range of Ground and Aviation Petrolium products & Lube Oils .........

I couldn't Agree More.

Joe

(Gasoline Too)

Laughing Buddha

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
we'll see what happens

it's still running pretty rough, slowwww acceleration, and a nice puff of white smoke right before i gain speed. I added a de-water agent, and some more fresh fuel from where i normally fill up. we'll see what happens.

the funny thing is that i have run both homebrewed bio-diesel, and a 80% filtered wvo / 20% petro mixture in my other trucks and never a problem.

if the fuel is the issue here i'm never putting diesel straight into my truck again until I filter it.

i'll keep everyong posted to see if the fuel in the water is the sole problem or i'm having another fuel system / sensor issue as well.

thanks for everyone feedback.......I'm new to this forum and ya'll have been great! Well, for free advice anyway.....:):hail......

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Water in the fuel ?

Related and Just for What It's Worth ?

For those of us that live in areas where there's recently been Flooding ? Might be a good idea to try and buy fuel from Stations & Truck Stops that we know.. are/were on "Higher Ground" ?

Sometimes the Water Tight Integrity of the Fill Ports, for underground tanks.. ain't what it ota be ?

:dunno

(kindofa Duh.. but worth mentioning ?)

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14