Dahl 100 Fuel Filter

firemediceric

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For you guys with the Dahl 100 fuel filter, what does your vacuum guage at the filter read?

I just installed the unit and it is currently reading -11. What should I expect when the filter becomes restricted enough to slow flow to the pump?

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
-11 what? " hg or kPa?

I don't like to have more than 8-10 inches of mercury restriction. Looks like the vegetable oil is too thick for the 2 micron filter.

firemediceric

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No veg oil in it, for the moment. I've run two tanks of straight #2 diesel in it to help clean out the tank before I do the Harpoon and Hutch mods, so the veg is not a factor right now. The fuel in the filter bowl is clear with no debris of any kind in it. I really don't think it's a fuel issue.

I am using this guage:
http://www.dieselsite.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=168

firemediceric

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I removed the filter from the fuel line and I read only -8, so it's definitly the filter causing the restriction-mad

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
You removed the element from the Dahl housing or removed the whole Dahl unit from the system?:confused:

Either way, 8in Hg is too much for the pump. Being on #2 with that much restriction I believe the screens in your mixing chamber in the tank are plugged.

firemediceric

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update

I removed the entire filter unit from the equation and had just straight fuel line. It was still reading -8-mad

I then blew compressed air through the fuel line and into the tank, thinking that the strainer in the tank may be some what obstructed.

I then hooked the Dahl back up and cranked up the truck. Where I was reading -11 with that configuration, I am now reading -8. So things have improved, but are still not great :(

I guess I need to be making plans to drop the tank and do the Hutch mod. :confused:

Anybody close want to give me a hand? :sly

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
Did Bob's install kit come with hose to go from tank pickup to the Dahl? Only other thing I can think of is that the hose is kinked or pinched somewhere.

firemediceric

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, it did not. It came with enough hose to go from the steel fuel line to the filter and from the filter to the pump.

It's looking like this is a problem that was there before I got the filter, I just didn't realize it because I did not have a guage. I certainly cannot put any blame on Bob :hail

I had someone suggest, even before I was aware of this problem, that I should run some 3/8" fuel hose from the tank to the filter instead of using the stock steel fuel line. They told me the fuel will flow a lot better that way as oppossed to the pump trying to pull it through a "narrow steel straw." Does his suggestion sound reasonable to you?

I think I'm going to have to find the time and the courage to try and drop the tank, which is 3/4 full of fuel right now :cussing:, and at the least clean off the strainer. Maybe even remove it? If I get that far, I think I'll run the 3/8" hose instead of the metal fuel line.

Do you think I'm on the right track? :confused:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58