Help Needed Dash went crazy & no power!!

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
Would this also cause the drastic loss of power?? (no accelleration) It runs smooth, but has no power... mash the pedal & it hardly wants to accelerate.
The injector control module will not properly fire the injectors with low voltage. The van the wife and I used to own for our dog grooming business did the same thing. Bad cables were the culprit, replacing the ground cables fixed it.

VinceJE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had batts tested in isolation and the alt tested at 2 different places this afternoon. All tested fine, so this is really frustrating. I have been through 4 alternators and 3 sets of batteries overall. I have no confidence in this truck until I can find some concrete evidence of the causes & get it fixed.

snicklas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree, it is a power supply problem.

I was having alternator/batter issues on mine. I was going to drive it to work one day, and it had been on the charger after an alternator replacement. Drove to the gas station a mile or so from home, and left it run when I went inside. When I came back out, the truck was running, but when I got in, I noticed the indicator lights were off, I.E. - The Parking Brake indicator light. Once that caught my attention, I noticed all the gauges were at their "Zero" mark. At the time, since I was having trouble, I bought a cheap, plug into the cigarette lighter plug volt meter. Not a perfect solution, but better than nothing. I looked at the meter and I was at ~9.0 Volts!!!!!! Had the "Oh S**T! thought and drove straight home. On the trip home the alt would come to life a little and the gauges would start working, then die, then work..... Replaced the alternator, again (Was a defective replacement), and all the issues cleared. I am not sure if/how the performance was affected since I was still in town, and I was babying it home.... However, during this same time frame, while I was having the alt. trouble , I did have the voltage get to a point it turned the battery light on, it was still in the 12v range at that point, but it still ran correctly, had the expected power and instruments still worked. I would say someting is affecting you power supply to the engine/instruments.....

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What brand alt. are you running? I had and problem like that for days running rebuilt alt. I put 3 alt on and still had the same problem. I had USA alt. on there and it was the problem. I put a motorcraft on and the problem went away. It's the way they test rebuilt alt. I think the rebuilds have a surging problem. :dunno

Last edited:

snicklas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Dogman,

I have had a total of 5 alternators on my truck....

The one that was on it when I bought it - I assume it was the factory one
2 Rebuilt NAPA Lifetime Alternators - I think the longest on lasted a month
1 Brand New NAPA Lifetime Alternator - Lasted about a year and an half
1 - Currently - A Bosch Reman - It seem to work the best of all the replacements I've had......

Next one will be a Motorcraft...... if/when I need it.....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58