Help Needed Dead in the parking lot

NDsuperduty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
About a week ago I was in the drive threw of a fast food place, turned off the truck to place an order but wouldn't start back up aftwards. It would crank, sounded strong, but wouldn't roll over. I pushed it out of the drive threw, and let it sit while calling some friends for a jump. I decided to try it again, and it started after several seconds of cranking, and the start was kind of weak.

Since then I had the batteries and alternator checked and both were good. I also had the fuel filter changed, but doubt that is the issue. Overall the truck was running fine, but then tonight it wouldn't start when I was leaving the gym. It had a string crank but wouldn't rollover. Tried to crank several times including one really long one but nothing. Don't know if it makes a big difference but my truck makes alot of short trips(5-10min).

Hving it towed to the dealer Wednesday or Thursday, but curious if you guys have any ideas I could try first?

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
ICP sensor on the front of the left side of the engine..
take it off and look for sludge in it.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Sounds like your FICM died. Mine would not start every once in a while, but would after several minutes. Ford needs to program the FICM for your truck, so this is not a do-it-yourself item.

Dave

NDsuperduty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ran a diagnostics with my programer before uninstalling it and it said the #5 and 6 glow plug was out. Would that fit the symptoms I listed? Is that something I should go to the dealer for or a diesel shop?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Replace the glow plugs and try it. You will have to remove the valve cover to get to the glow plugs.

Dave

f100cleveland

When In Doubt,THROTTLE ON
Reaction score
If it starts fine cold then it could be the HPOP. When mine went out it acted like that when warmed up. Hope its not tho cuz that is'nt cheap to replace. Have to have somebody check fuel pressure while cranking and must be over 500lb to fire inj. Good luck finding your problem.

NDsuperduty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had a mechanic friend run diagnostics on my truck today and he said my main issue is the High pressure oil
Pump quick release fitting. He said when I get that fix I should have the front dummy plugs on high pressure oil rails replaced bc they are known to go out and are located right by the pump that needs replacing. He also said the FICM is starting to go out, and he would recommend replacing it now given it's in te same area as pump. He said I could go to local dealer to verify his diagnostics. Since he's a friend he offered to do everything for around $1000. Sound like a good deal? He said the pump alone would cost over a grand with labor at a dealer.

EDIT: keep in mind I quoting him from memory so it's possible my wording is a little off

NDsuperduty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He told me the price was saving me alot. Said the FICM part alone is $400, and that the labor alone for the high pressure valve at a dealer can run 10 hours of labor(at $100 an hour).

Was just curious what others have paid. Thanks

f100cleveland

When In Doubt,THROTTLE ON
Reaction score
There is a TSB on the HPOP fitting and if I remember right the part from IH is a better fix than Fords. Somebody else should have the part number for the IH piece. Mine was fixed under warranty so everything got replaced with an updated HPOP.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg