Dealer says we know its broke but cant find problem, WHAT!!!

Bdyzr1

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have a 08 F-350, it has 32000 miles on it and my 3/36 just ran out on time 8/27. 2 weeks ago coming down a 6% grade in tow/haul mode pulling my toyhauler (12000 lbs or more) i was in regen mode and when my engine brake engaged i heard like a thumping sound (kinda like i had a flat front tire) in the rt fight motor area, after proceeding a few miles i noticed only happening when accelerating got home unloaded the trailer and took it to the first dealership. They told me it was my aftermarket dpf back Banks set up, told them they were full of $hit, on to the next dealership, they had 3 techs ride with me and they all hear this thumping noise and the truck shake that happens at 2700 rpm and about 45mph, these techs are freaking out, so i leave it with them and a week later i get the phone call today that they know something is wrong with the truck but cant figure it out, come get it. the service manager told me they cant put anymore time into it because its out of mfg warranty, anybody heard anything like this on this truck, please help

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4 WD, 2 WD ?

You might try getting in contact with the FOMCO Rep for your area.. and explaining to them.. what you've explained to us. Ford has Dealer Shops, that are a "cut above" other shops.. when it comes to "Gremlin" type problems.

The Contact Information is in your Owners Manual.

:dunno

Joe

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm leaning tords a possible trans. problem, at 2700 rpm at 45mph what gear are you in?

Call Bill at powerstrokehelp.com 1-777-831-4070

He may have so insite on what it is.

mp18d

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Front unit bearing hubs?? Do 08s have them?? (Hell I should know I have one....) Is it doing it loaded and unloaded???

Mike

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
I have a 08 F-350, it has 32000 miles on it and my 3/36 just ran out on time 8/27. 2 weeks ago coming down a 6% grade in tow/haul mode pulling my toyhauler (12000 lbs or more) i was in regen mode and when my engine brake engaged i heard like a thumping sound (kinda like i had a flat front tire) in the rt fight motor area, after proceeding a few miles i noticed only happening when accelerating got home unloaded the trailer and took it to the first dealership. They told me it was my aftermarket dpf back Banks set up, told them they were full of $hit, on to the next dealership, they had 3 techs ride with me and they all hear this thumping noise and the truck shake that happens at 2700 rpm and about 45mph, these techs are freaking out, so i leave it with them and a week later i get the phone call today that they know something is wrong with the truck but cant figure it out, come get it. the service manager told me they cant put anymore time into it because its out of mfg warranty, anybody heard anything like this on this truck, please help

how soon after the Banks install did this happen

dpantazis

Reaction score
so you have an aftermarket brake controller, you were over GVWR, going downhill, and both regen and the brake unit were going on and then you heard a pop? and you are unhappy that the dealer sends the truck back to you because he can not put any more time into it? never forget that you pay to play....

what engine brake are you talking about? banks speedbrake unit? does the brake unit control the turbos? i wonder if you built up so much back pressure that you popped a turbo or the vane controller, or something else in the charge air system.

if the brake controller is ignorant of the regen mode, and regen tried to spool stuff up to burn out the dpf, but the brake unit tried to choke it down, something has to give. think about it. low pressure turbo is on the right side?

Fine69

Reaction score
Yeah I was wondering about the whole engine brake thing. 6.4's don't have an engine brake, from the factory at least. Sounds like you're gonna learn the meaning of "Ya Gotta Pay to Play"! Call Banks, I'm sure they'll help out with the cost!:lmao:lmao:sorry

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so you have an aftermarket brake controller, you were over GVWR, going downhill, and both regen and the brake unit were going on and then you heard a pop? and you are unhappy that the dealer sends the truck back to you because he can not put any more time into it? never forget that you pay to play....

what engine brake are you talking about? banks speedbrake unit? does the brake unit control the turbos? i wonder if you built up so much back pressure that you popped a turbo or the vane controller, or something else in the charge air system.

if the brake controller is ignorant of the regen mode, and regen tried to spool stuff up to burn out the dpf, but the brake unit tried to choke it down, something has to give. think about it. low pressure turbo is on the right side?

Right On dp.

None of these light truck diesel engines, are/were, engineered or designed for a manually controlled "Back Pressure" type.. exhaust brake....

When we manually do a restrictive Input.. to something (Re-gen) thats Computer controlled.. Murphy's Law could, at some point, apply ? Maybe ?

Hmmmm....... Somethin' to think about anywayz.

Joe

But.. everything we do to these things is against... something, so :dunno

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58