Dealer says we know its broke but cant find problem, WHAT!!!

Bdyzr1

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
so you have an aftermarket brake controller, you were over GVWR, going downhill, and both regen and the brake unit were going on and then you heard a pop? and you are unhappy that the dealer sends the truck back to you because he can not put any more time into it? never forget that you pay to play....

what engine brake are you talking about? banks speedbrake unit? does the brake unit control the turbos? i wonder if you built up so much back pressure that you popped a turbo or the vane controller, or something else in the charge air system.

if the brake controller is ignorant of the regen mode, and regen tried to spool stuff up to burn out the dpf, but the brake unit tried to choke it down, something has to give. think about it. low pressure turbo is on the right side?

no i dont have an aftermarket brake controller, its stock, i dont believe i was over gvwr, and im just learning this but i guess its not an engine brake but when i touch the brakes my truck hits higher rpm and it helps slow the truck down

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
no i dont have an aftermarket brake controller, its stock, i dont believe i was over gvwr, and im just learning this but i guess its not an engine brake but when i touch the brakes my truck hits higher rpm and it helps slow the truck down

That is Tow/Haul mode doing its thing.

Dave

dpantazis

Reaction score
Bdyrzr1- your first posts makes more sense now.

iirc, the towhaul mode changes the turbo vane geometry to choke the motor down. i dont know if its the low or high pressure side. you might find docs on the ford diesel techs site. google foe the address.

so the truck in tow-haul mode tried slowing you down. at what point did it regen? are you sure it regened?

since its predictable at higher engine rpms, i think its still turbo or boost related. you are not going to develop boost in the lower rpm range.

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bdyrzr1- your first posts makes more sense now.

iirc, the towhaul mode changes the turbo vane geometry to choke the motor down. i dont know if its the low or high pressure side. you might find docs on the ford diesel techs site. google foe the address.

so the truck in tow-haul mode tried slowing you down. at what point did it regen? are you sure it regened?

since its predictable at higher engine rpms, i think its still turbo or boost related. you are not going to develop boost in the lower rpm range.

But it also changes the trans. too. The tow-haul uses the trans. as a brake.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A Re-Flash maybe ?

Seems the VGT and the Trans( and maybe the Re-Gen) arent talking... via the ECM/PCM..:dunno

Joe

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I would be going to another dealer, you still have the 100.000 warranty on the engine and transmission and something is not right.
Doug

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58