Death Wobble

iracemine

black and tan
Reaction score
oh yeah.. and if you take a 1500 mile trip with bad ball joints, and you KNOW it has ball joints.. let me know what route you're taking so I can stay the hell out of the area.

That's how stupid an idea that is.

HA, that's what I was thinking.

nswsparky

All my stuff
Reaction score
bad ball joints are not the end of the world I dove my jeep for at least a year with balljoints with play. Its not like they are going to tear apart wile cruising down the road.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
bad ball joints are not the end of the world I dove my jeep for at least a year with balljoints with play. Its not like they are going to tear apart wile cruising down the road.

his truck is a 2wd.. depending on, yes, they could come apart..

iracemine

black and tan
Reaction score
really?

Ive seen it happen a bit more than one should. heck I was stuck in a parking garage for 2 hours (had to find a tow truck that could fit in a parking garage in the middle of chicago) because some idiot snapped one on the way up looking for a spot right behind me blocking me in.

ALSO iracemine. yeah it happens quite a bit on the weekend. But if you want to figure out how many licks it takes to get to the center of a roll over. by all means go for it. people do it all the time. I just would rather be safe, cheap, my own tools, nice garage with radio and beer when I change mine.

OH, and if I was a father.......:rant

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
really?

Ive seen it happen a bit more than one should. heck I was stuck in a parking garage for 2 hours (had to find a tow truck that could fit in a parking garage in the middle of chicago) because some idiot snapped one on the way up looking for a spot right behind me blocking me in.

ALSO iracemine. yeah it happens quite a bit on the weekend. But if you want to figure out how many licks it takes to get to the center of a roll over. by all means go for it. people do it all the time. I just would rather be safe, cheap, my own tools, nice garage with radio and beer when I change mine.

OH, and if I was a father.......:rant

this doesn't have anything to do with the conversation, just a related point..
By law, the only thing you can't put a recap tire in, is the steer axle of a bus.
Think about that the next time that 90,000 pound garbage truck barrels past you on the two-lane...

playinatwork

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks for nothing guys. I am amazed at how little help I got from this board. Yea, I know it's not recommended but it was a necessary trip and I didn't have the money for any other option. One of the used tires that I bought blew out on the way back and it took out most of the rear fender. No horrible crash or rollover, sorry for disappointing you guys.
I've raced trucks, cars, motorcycles, boats and airplanes over most of this round ball. I think I can handle a sloppy front end and avoid killing myself or anyone else. How about leaving the condescending attitudes at the door. I hope if you need to get to your mothers funeral and need a little help, you will get better treatment. Just sayin.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
We get a lot of people who have no or little experience with these trucks and this is the treatment you got. Did you post your experience and history? Not that I saw, until now. I am sorry that you feel you were hammered on. It is NOT the intention of this forum to belittle anyone. I am not getting on your case in anyway, just saying.

Dave :coffee

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is all your call!!

No one on this site is going to tell you that your fine driving a truck with bad ball joint. If you cant swing the 20 dollars for a ball joint then that is your call. With me having almost 30 year racing off and on. I have see my share of ball joints breakage and tire blowouts and so great drivers getting killed or almost killed. Thats why I wont not let any car or truck out of my shop unless it was towed out with a problem like that. Just to cover my ass, because some idiot killed them selfs or someone in my family. This site is full of in-site in to problem on these trucks, BUT know one is going to tell you straight up that it's safe to drive. THAT IS ALL YOUR CALL!!

rlaspinall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I drive a 2011 F350 4x4. I bought it new and it now has 51,000k on it. On 2 different occasions, I have had a flapping sound (like a flat tire) on the front right wheel at highway speeds and both times it has quit on its own. I had it before and after tire rotation. However yesterday driving at highway speed on a slight curve to the right crossing the bump of a bridge to pavement connection, the truck went into a full on wobble. Absolutely frightening and wouldnt stop until I cam to a full stop. You have no idea what is wrong but had it happened on ice where I was heading or in heavy traffic, who knows what would have happened. Anyone had a similar experience and how was it corrected? When googled, it seems to be a Ford plague.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Does your truck have a steering stabilizer (A shock on the steering rod to the axle)? They stop this wobble. I have never had the death wobble in my truck. It is not just Ford, but it does happen.

Dave :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
castellscl