Death Wobble

rlaspinall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The truck is in the shop right now, but I looked at it yesterday and I don't remember seeing a stabalizer. If it is needed, I don't understand why it wasn't installed @ the factory.

nswsparky

All my stuff
Reaction score
steering stabilizers are not to stop wobble they will help it but stabilizers are to ease road feel and wander. They will help with death wobble but that would just be using them as a band aid and not fixing the real problem. Any old vehicles with worn parts are susceptible to death wobble after they start to wear especially solid axle vehicles. My jeep would get it something fierce it was due to bad steering angles due to my lift but if you keep it wobbling, it will burn into the tires and always do it even if you fix the problem.

rlaspinall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your comments. They have installed a dampner and I am to receive the truck back today. I am very concerned and hope they will have some solid answers when I see them at pick up time.

rlaspinall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the truck back and they installed a "Shimmy Shock" The steering does feel a bit tighter, but I haven't had it on a rough road yet to test for the wobble.
Anyone heard of this shock?

rdytow

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I occasionally had a similar issue on several mid 90's superduty series truck. Turned out to be the bushings in the dogbone on the front axle. It would only do it on 2WD trucks. I don't know the technical name of the "dog bone", but, this piece will be obvious. It goes cross wise in the suspension, and basically looks like a long dog bone. The bushings were pretty cheap, and you just unbolt it, put it in the bushings, and bolt it back in. It doesn't require a front end alignment afterwards. As far as the newer trucks, I don't know if this would be the same issue, but, if you have the dog bone, replacing the bushings may help. And, it will be real obvious by looking at, and wriggling the part, if the bushings are bad.

rlaspinall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Death Woble

Thanks for your response. After a little arm twisting with Ford, they finally did what I believe you are referring to. They called it the track bar.
So far it seems to be ok.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
rlaspinall, please fill out your signature so we ALL will know what truck you drive. Go to the Quick Links button above, in the Blue Line. Click on Edit Signature and fill it out. Thanks

Dave ;tu

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
castellscl