Diesel Down - For Good!

RandyH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I finally got some pictures pulled together. As I mentioned on another thread our elk hunt this year went really well (3 for 3) elk including the first for my 16 year old son. However, on opening day we had 50 mile per hour winds that were snapping trees all around us while we were hunting and we came back to camp after packing out the first elk to find my truck cab had been crushed by two 80 foot pine trees. Insurance has totaled it out and so now as my daughter says, I'm "truckless". Time to start looking for another PSD!

IMG_4103.jpg

IMG_5590.jpg

IMG_5677.jpg

IMG_5671.jpg

IMG_5673.jpg

IMG_5675.jpg

IMG_5696.jpg

RandyH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was a real bummer. But what can you do. Luckily nobody was in it when the tree hit. It took two of us to lift a 10 foot section of the tree off the truck that broke when it hit. Insurance has been pretty fair with us and I did get all my extras off that they don't pay for. Now I'm trying to decide if I should replace it with 2003 (7.3L) or try to get into a 2005 with all the updates. I'm having a hard time finding a long-bed and it seems like about 50% of the trucks are white! Anyway, the search goes on.

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
wow. have you thought about repairing it?

congrats on the successful hunt, too bad it was a cold ride home. good luck with your truck search.

RandyH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Instrance guy told us it would cost about $14K to replace the cab which is more than the truck is worth. The rest seems okay although it pushed the front fenders and hood enough to jam the hood closed at first. Didn't hurt the bed either other than scratches from the limbs. More than I want to tackle at this point. The salvage value was about $5K. We had to have it towed 150 miles back to the house and found some friends to come get me and the fifth wheel (but only after I was through hunting). :)

Sawboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sux man. I had a tree fall on mine back around August during some wicked wind and rain storms. I was luckier than you though. It was hit with the crown of the tree, a maple about 30' tall, so the big ole trunk missed it. Plus, my bed took the hit, with just some minor damage to the cab and r/r door. Its the tree that you can see in the background of my avatar as a matter of fact.

I took the same view as you did though. I wasn't in it............so from there, everything else os a good. Matter of fact, when I started to laugh after about 5 minutes my wife asks "you love that truck, how the hell can you laugh about it?". I said, "Real simple, the closer tree didn't blow down and hit the house! LMAO

Good luck with the replacement hunt, and good shooting!

Last edited:

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
the closer tree didn't blow down and hit the house!

thats funny..........in a pathetically horrible way. i bet you never thought you would have a sigh of relief because the tree hit the truck!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58