Diesel Power Magazine

jvencius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a copy at Barnes and Noble last week and while it was interesting, I don't know that I'll be buying any more issues. Sure, it's glitzy and there are a lot of flashy show/race vehicles, but (1) it's pretty damned obvious that Banks spends A LOT of money on advertising and they get their payback for those ad dollars since it seems like a lot of the featured vehicles are heavy with Banks accessories and (2) there was the article by Gale Banks saying, pretty much, that if you don't hotrod your diesel just like Banks Performance would do it, you've got things all wrong. All in all, it was a mildly interesting magazine, but not worth the money I spent on it. -mad

rum4by5

Reaction score
I think it is a decent mag but I agree they got all these fancy show trucks but lets see if they start putting some real diesels in there, everyday driver trucks. Banks does have a lot of ads in it, would like to see more of the other diesel accessory comapanies jump on in

Rebel Horseman

Minuteman Patriot
Reaction score
Yep I kinda got the same impression. But, regardless of my opinion of Banks' products, I'll probably still subscribe. It's the only mag out there (that I know of) that deals specifically with tuning up diesels.

With that said, I want to see something other than useless jacked-up 4x4s with more modifications and accessories than you can shake a stick at. I want to see real trucks...daily drivers, daily haulers, ranch trucks, work trucks, and such like most of us have and pilot every day. Show us how we can afford to mod our trucks without having to take out a separate loan from the bank and have your rig down for a month while it's modified.

Ten_Bucks

Chainsaw Collector.
Reaction score
Yeah, the coverage of the Banks stuff is a little excessive to say the least, but I still bought a subscription. Be prepared, though. The new editor, David Kennedy, is a big time Duramax fan, so there might be more Duramax related stuff in there in the future.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Ten_Bucks said:
Be prepared, though. The new editor, David Kennedy, is a big time Duramax fan, so there might be more Duramax related stuff in there in the future.
I wonder if he would be interested in a story on all the new Phillips Duracrap powered trucks that cannot even make it to the North slope without breaking down? I saw another one up there yesterday. They hit the cold weather and start dropping like flys. They start out loosing power then it comes back then they lose and then they die. Just a wonderful piece of equipment they are. If you live in a cold climate stay away from the Duracrap. They don't put out much cab heat and don't like temps colder than -20 at all. Most all the other companies on the slope use Ford products.

NavyAg

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! Just glancing at the talk about the Diesel Power magazine and all I can say is that it is refreshing to be able to purchase a magazine that specializes in one of my "toys"! :D There is not much to look forward to while being here in Afghanistan, but I can certainly say that it made my day when I went into the camp exchange today and picked up the January 2006 edition of Diesel Power (even though it had a Dodge on the cover). By the way, the vast majority of vehicles in Afghanistan are diesels! I typically drive a Toyota "Prado" 4x4 diesel (a slightly underpowered, economical, but good looking and nimble medium SUV that I wish I had in the States). But I still get excited seeing the big honkin diesel Excursions driving down the road.:sweet I can tolerate all the ads (it gives me a chance to see what I can spend my hard earned cash on) and I feel that most of us do a really fine job of comparing products and picking the best for our needs even when some companies try to saturate the pages with their products. There is an article on the powerstoke engine as well as a couple of articles on Ford trucks. Plus, I really am looking forward to reading the article on the VW TDI Jetta. I love the magazine and have subscribed, even though I have it going to my home in SC and not here in Kabul, therefore duplicating the next few issues until I get home. I also want to thank you guys for a wonderful site that specializes in the SDD. Thanks!!:thanks

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
NavyAg said:
I also want to thank you guys for a wonderful site that specializes in the SDD. Thanks!!:thanks

NO SIR, I want to thank you for letting us have the freedom to have the site.:thumbs

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Yeah what he said, Thank you very much :) On another subject: I find it right on track that you can find the magazine in Afghanistan but I cannot find one in Alaska. Just another example of how us Northern folks live a very sheltered life.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Diesel Power Update

Well I got my first issue on my new subscription(March 2006). I must say that it is better than the first issue(Vol 1 No.1). I found it to be interesting reading and much less of a cover to cover Banks add. I guess on a scale of 1-10 I would give it a 7 which is much better than the 3 I would have given them on there first issue. It is also much thicker than before. I am hoping as time goes by and they get a handle on things that it will get better and better. They have 8 more issues to impress me enough for a renewal.

NavyAg

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I am so glad that you are finally receiving your magazine in Alaska and that you are enjoying it as much as I do. :D I have continued to find the latest issues here in Kabul with my only complaint being that I get so dang tired after reading the magazine cover to cover all night and then going to work at 0630. I am now within 8 days of being able to go home and have turned over my entire collection of Diesel Power to a fellow Alaskan who while does not drive a Super Duty does drive a Dodge Cummins. :dunno He says the same thing about never having seen this magazine and is now addicted to it as well. Good Job Diesel Power! :sweet

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58