Question Diesel swap

copracr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok, so i need a transfer case from a diesel 6 spd. i got the truck im gonna try and do the swap on. its a 00 excursion v10. Its in great shape with a top of the line options list, and I got it dirt cheap.
link to pics : https://picasaweb.google.com/111521544883566142257/Excursion?authuser=0&feat=directlink
I included some pics of the front end because i have a question. I'm not interested in keeping the 5" lift and i want to undo it, but i'm not sure what was done to get it up that high. I'm gonna swap the really good rear springs from the f250 over to the excursion, but I dont know what to do with the front.

Also, does anyone know if those chrome rims I have on the front of the 2wd f250 will fit the excursion 4wd? I really hate the sound of mudder tires on pavement at 70mph

Last question, the excursion has 4 something gears in it and I was wondering if thats ok for a diesel driveline.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I can't see you photos in your link. Link is not working. 2 wheel drive rims will not work on a 4 wheel drive truck. The hubs will not fit the rims. Generally, the lift is done with springs, but again I can not see your photos. If it is, all you have to do is change springs to a four wheel drive of that year.

Dave

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
OK, those chrome rims will fit. I did not see the rims before and was not certain which rims you were talking about. Getting the links straight in the beginning really helps.

Dave

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the rims will fit you may want to get the center cap/trim piece that clips on your lugnuts to give it a finished look

as for the front suspension. just put the stock leafs back in the front, the sway bar end links appear to be extended ones also which will need to be swapped back for stockers, and finally since it appears they did it right they might have swapped the pitman arm on the steering gearbox for one with a bit more drop to correct steering angles. You'll also need to look @ the trackbar mounts & trackbar itself and see if they are stock or not (they are sometimes changed with lifts)

in the rear swap your springs in there and loose all except the little lift block

In looking at the pictures closer it appears that they did not swap the pitman arm so one less thing to worry about. The trackbar looks to be stock as do the mounts, the swaybar endlinks looked swapped out on the connected one because the swaybar looks to be sitting level with the ground, no telling why the driver's side is disconnected.

copracr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
, the swaybar endlinks looked swapped out on the connected one because the swaybar looks to be sitting level with the ground, no telling why the driver's side is disconnected.
The bracket that connects the endlink to the frame is busted in half

copracr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I decided I'm swapping the 7.3L over to the Ex.
1. Sell the very nice condition V10 to get the funds for this.
2. I'll find someone that wants to trade a good 4r100 for my ZF 6 speed
3. swap output shaft and housing from the gas 4r100 to the diesel one.
4. Run the diesel 4r100 with a stand alone controller.

I would love to have a 4wd manual Ex, but there's too many issues there.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14