Question Diesel techs:

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Wouldn't that be a sign of a blown head gasket or a cracked head?

go unplug your GPR and crank your truck..
you'll see what he's talking about...

you'll only get steam from a head problem (gasket or otherwise) once the engine is running

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
overfueling will cause black smoke, only if the fuel is burning. a blown injector tip that is dumping fuel will more than likely not burn, and wash down the cylinder and smoke white from the fuel dripping and boiling in the exhaust.

i would imagine eubee has his injectors by now, and the truck is running well?

Eubee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...i would look closely at that egr cooler before y0u jump into the fuel system. ...

The up-pipe end of the cooler was welded shut by a previous owner. However, if the cooler was ruptured it could still be putting coolant into the intake yes. I am going to do an experiment with rerouting the coolant coming out of the oil cooler and delete the EGR cooler all togehter, that way it will be nearly impossible for coolant to ever get into the intake.

overfueling will cause black smoke, only if the fuel is burning. a blown injector tip that is dumping fuel will more than likely not burn, and wash down the cylinder and smoke white from the fuel dripping and boiling in the exhaust.
i would imagine eubee has his injectors by now, and the truck is running well?

Well, yes and no. I had to wait for an appointment to have my truck scanned to tell me which injector(s) is/are bad, because I can not afford to do all eight right now; and last I knew, there was only one going bad. Well, that appointment is not until this Thursday. Both my schedule and theirs had to cooperate.

My smoke is white/bluish (like a gasser burning oil), and only comes in at 2500RPM or higher. Truck idles fine, but acts like a misfire when the smoke starts (leading me to believe it is a bad injector).

Last edited:

Eubee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, this dealer (different than where I bought it) claims all the injectors check out fine. They did pull a few codes that match my codes from scantool:

P0046 - boost control soleniod circuit range/performance
P0102 - mass/volume air flow circuit low input
P0113 - intake air temp circuit high input
P0198 - engine oil temp sensor circuit high input
P0341 - camshaft position sensor A circuit range/performance
P0403 - EGR control circuit
P0404 - EGR control circuit range/performance
P0405 - EGR sensor A circuit low
P1000 - OBD systems readiness test not complete
P2263 - turbo charger system performance

...so, an new VGT solenoid is getting ordered here in just a couple minutes.

EGR is disconnected, so that one is understandable. Oil temp sensor is curious. I just replaced the oil cooler when I did the HP pump. Oil temp and coolant temp run about 170-190 degrees according to scan tool. CPS is a new one for this truck; will investigate over next couple days. I would be willing to bet that MAF and turbo codes are all related.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14