Direct TV/ Dish Network

CHPMustang

Reaction score
HI-JACK...

man im telling you i feel fairly knowledgable when it comes to
technology etc but this HD/Flat screen stuff has really put me off.

Its been to my benefit to wait anyway & prices are falling like bricks...
but now its blueray vs. hddvd crap !
Little bit confusing as well for us as the technology and prices keep changing,we'll wait for the right deal to come along for theres no rush.

Hi-Jack (Off)

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah i agree...its not so much the technology as it is the pricing...
i feel certain that we'll go w/ a high-contrast LCD w/ at least 1080i
(im not sure what the highest progressive scan resolution is anymore).

and ill make sure its got plenty of GOOD HI-RES (dvi etc) inputs.

Whata250

Whata250
Reaction score
This probably isnt a good morning for me to reply to this.......heres why

About a month ago I purchased a LCD HDTV. I was pleased with the picture til I scanned the over the air to find channels and landed on an over the air HD channel. It blew my satelite pciture away.
So I bit the bullet and upraded to HD broadcasting through my provider, DishNetwork. They gave me an install date a week out which I thought was exceptable. The typical noon -5pm window to have asrvice guy come out.

Noon to 5pm on a Monday. Take off work. at 5pm still no service guy. I call dish and get the automated response" Youare scheduled for today, please be patient there are appointments before yours" at about 5:45pm a guy shows up at the door. He doesnt have a clue. He said it wasnt his call they just paged him to come to this address. He has no parts at all. He cant do anything. They want to reschedule. I resheduled for today (two weeks later) and its a 8-noon window. They show up at 8:30........stillno parts and no clue. They say HD dishes and recievers are on backorder. I didnt need to stay home for a service guy to tell me that....they could have called and kept me from taking off work, again. Now scheduled for February 10th.

So I buy an HDTV and upgrade service..........not to be installed til after the playoff s and superbowl.

Maybe by an outside chance I can see the Daytona 500 on HD

Off my soapbox now!

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
It is pretty much a toss up. It is more like "who will give you the best deal?" I have had Dish Network now for about 15 years now and I would not switch, but I won't argue who has the best programming. They both are about equal. You will get great reception on both.

Dave

me to ever since old charley would answer the phone...
any who i own my recievers so no rentingem, and every 3-4 years they try to get me to upgrade and lease em, but after a few talks we get em for free.
fastest way to speak to a human if your already a customer, is to press the cancel now number when prompted on the phone, or I want to subscribe otherwise its wait and wait
I am on my 5th dish move thing, some of the techs have been boooooooffffffoooooons, last one was an expert and a woman to boot.
they both offer great channels if register in your new town with grcery stores and the like, wait a week you will get a thing in the mail, for free stuff from dish.. or call em or go online. play em to get what you want....everything is negoitable. :D

as for pictures hd etc..... I am not a tv nut so the hd vs all the other.. i wouldnt notice.. however from time to time some channels look like i am watching using rabbit ears ( things from a by gone era) fuzzy and with some static.

Last edited:

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WE are Directv subscribers and I have a exter dish that I keep in the trailer that I sat up on a trypod when we are camping. It has worked great everywhere we have been to so far. I like the speed ch and XM raido on Directv also.

02SilverStroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We've had DirecTV for almost 7 years with pretty good service. The biggest problem with the reception is when it's raining really hard. Other than that, we've been pleased. We've got one TiVo receiver, and planning to get another.

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So Wayne you haven't had to much trouble with DirecTV , because of rain in the past year or two have you?

Yellowsub1962

supernewbie
Reaction score
directv here for almost 5 years.. HD package. The TV and connections makes all the difference for HD, but in general directv has a visibly better picture than dish HD.

as for which is right for you? talk to people in your area or drive around and count dishes on rooftops... whats good in one area might not be good in others -just like cel phones...whichever you pick tell them you subscribe to the other one and what will they offer to get you to switch today ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58