DIY Intake failed State Inspection

dpantazis

Reaction score
all the CARB compliant sticker means is that the component meets the strictest emissions standards and is 50 state legal.

it does NOT mean that any other state that is not part of the CARB pact is applying the CARB standards.

everyone needs to educate themselves on these issues, its only going to get worse over time.

EDIT: if you read the document I linked, its VERY clear on the inspection/compliance requirement.

fgtex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the DIY filter setup. I had my truck inspected last week and the inspector said nothing about the air filter.

From dpantazis link above:
"1996 and newer vehicles do not have a Thermostatic Air Cleaner (TAC) system. The TAC system went away on 1996 & newer vehicles, because these vehicles are equipped with OBDII (On-Board Diagnostics – Second Generation) computer systems and these vehicles have more sophisticated fuel injection systems and emissions control systems, so there’s no need for a TAC system. There are several different brands of aftermarket open-type air filter/intake systems by K&N, Airaid, AEM, etc, so these are OK to install on any vehicle that did not come factory equipped with a TAC system and you will pass the visual emissions component inspection."

stroker21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I called another shop about the issue. He stated that he would have to look at it to be sure. But he did say that it does most likely need to have a shield in place to block the debris and water from coming up from between the engine and fender. I knew I kept my stock box for a reason.:sweet:tounge

CHPMustang

Reaction score
I had my DIY filter on for years and never had an issue on the state safety inspection and the inspectors are more up tight here in Dallas:dizzy

Go to a different shop brother! Don't mention the one you came from;)

What a PITA tho.

stroker21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the guy I took it to the first time just said it had to be reusable. I told him I had one at the house. He said if I put that one on and brought it back, he would put a sticker on it. We will see!?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm think'n yer be'n Jerked Around by this guy.

Funny he didn't say.. If you bought one from him he'd pass it.:watchout

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Funny he didn't say.. If you bought one from him he'd pass it.:watchout

That is what you would expect here in California. We can not trust ANYBODY in the automotive or real estate businesses. And I am dealing with a Real Estate agent at the moment. :(

Dave

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58