DIY Intake failed State Inspection

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is what you would expect here in California. We can not trust ANYBODY in the automotive or real estate businesses. And I am dealing with a Real Estate agent at the moment. :(

Dave

Goood Luck Dave..:watchout

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Thanks Joe. I will try a bit North of SF and go into the Napa or Sonoma Valleys. I have family in the Napa Valley and I know that area, but Sonoma is great also...

Dave

bigrigr

Real trks hv 3 pdls
Reaction score
This is the biggest load of crap I've heard of in a long time! Up until just a few years ago, I used to be a certified state inspector for safeties and emissions, and I've never heard of anything like this. I know however, that the regs in utah state that the inspector has final word on anything that he might deem as unsafe, or non-compliant, even if it's not clearly stated in the manual. Some guys just take regs a little to serious, and get a charge out of inforcing their own interpretation. Sounds like this guy needs to be taken down a notch, oh, and by the way, don't go back there for inspections ever!

bears4x4

grease monkey
Reaction score
bs talk to the mgr, the guy or gal is a tard, get your money back or call them in, i had a similar problem

Last edited:

Bad Night

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder if it could be a fire issue as a paper filter could catch fire easier than a reusable . I have no idea I am just throwing this out there . Either way it seems like a bunch of crap . :dunno

hellums99

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
The head of State Inspections in TX is the DPS(State Highway Patrol). You could call your local DPS office and find out how to get in contact with the DPS officer assigned to your area. Have him, personally, do an inspection of your vehicle... That would be pretty humorous if he said it'd pass. I'd be really surprised if that happened though, these guys are pretty much the biggest *****ES in the state. He'd probably find 10 more reasons not to pass it. Just speaking from experience. I'm a tech and licensed inspector at a Lexus dealership here in Fort Worth. GOOD LUCK. I'd suggest, if you do have another filter, put it on and go back. Otherwise, you're just out your $12.75.

Fire1

Certified Diesel Driver
Reaction score
Inspection criteria

Which vehicles are required to have the emissions test?

* Vehicles registered in designated counties. Designated counties include: Brazoria, Fort Bend, Galveston, Harris, Montgomery, Collin, Dallas, Denton, Ellis, Johnson, Kaufman, Parker, Rockwall, Tarrant, Travis, Williamson and El Paso counties.
* Gasoline powered vehicles. Diesel powered vehicles and motorcycles are exempt from emissions testing, but are still required to have the annual safety inspection.
* Vehicles 2 through 24 years old OR upon expiration of the two-year initial inspection sticker.

Safety inspection crtieria

Items of Inspection

05.02 Inspect Every Pickup, Panel, or Truck Under 80 Inches Wide For: (Listed in suggested order of inspection)

* Check for evidence of Financial Responsibility

1. Horn
2. Windshield Wipers
3. Mirror
4. Steering
5. Seat Belts
6. Brakes (system) Parking - (beginning with 1960 models)
7. Tires
8. Wheel Assembly
9. Safety Guards or Flaps (if four tires or more on rearmost axle)
10. Exhaust System
11. Exhaust Emission System (beginning with 1968 models)
12. Beam Indicator (beginning with 1948 models)
13. Tail Lamps (2); (1) if 1959 model or earlier
14. Stop Lamps (2); (1) if 1959 model or earlier
15. License Plate Lamp (1)
16. Rear Red Reflectors (2)
17. Turn Signal Lamps (beginning with 1960 models) (mea-sure if 1959 model or earlier)
18. Head Lamps (2)
19. Motor, Serial, or Vehicle Identification Number
20. 1988 & newer - inspect for window tinting or coating
21. Gas caps on vehicles 2-24 model years old.

Overall width is determined by measuring from the widest part on one side to the widest part on the other side of the vehicle. In some vehicles this may be the dual wheels which would be considered as part of the width. Do not include an outside mirror or mirrors in determining overall width.

Show me where the air filter is listed. This is copied from Texas DPS.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58